Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Latin program?
by mem82
October 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Any suggestions for beginning Latin? Mostly for a 12yo,maybe for an 8yo.

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    October 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM

You could do Prima Latina for both, but I would recommend First Form Latin for the 12 year old, and Prima for the 8 year old (the 12 year old may find Prima boring, and First Form is rigorous).

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I really like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0979505100/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It takes it slow and easy.  I don't do languages easily.  I can't imagine being able to teach it easily.  My two oldest wanted to do Latin (which I fortunately have 4 years of learning under my belt!), and this is good for me and them.  I don't get frustrated, they don't get frustrated, it's good for us.  I'm not rigorous, I'm much more of an at your own pace kinda gal, and I can do this.  We'll probably move into something else that does move a bit faster, but foundationally, this one rocks.

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM

How much parental help is needed with either of these. I have a lazy R and while for the most part, Speech fixed the issue, I struggle with other languages. 8^/

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You could do Prima Latina for both, but I would recommend First Form Latin for the 12 year old, and Prima for the 8 year old (the 12 year old may find Prima boring, and First Form is rigorous).

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM

This looks good if it comes with a CD or something. I have a speech impediment that really prevents me from speaking other languages.

Quoting hwblyf:

I really like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0979505100/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It takes it slow and easy.  I don't do languages easily.  I can't imagine being able to teach it easily.  My two oldest wanted to do Latin (which I fortunately have 4 years of learning under my belt!), and this is good for me and them.  I don't get frustrated, they don't get frustrated, it's good for us.  I'm not rigorous, I'm much more of an at your own pace kinda gal, and I can do this.  We'll probably move into something else that does move a bit faster, but foundationally, this one rocks.

• kirbymom
    October 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    Here is a link you might like...

http://www.gettingstartedwithlatin.com/
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM

The audio is online.  I've never used it because I did take 4 years of classes, so I feel confident (read: unchanging) in my pronunciations.  Plus, it's a dead language.  :) 

Quoting mem82:

This looks good if it comes with a CD or something. I have a speech impediment that really prevents me from speaking other languages.

Quoting hwblyf:

I really like:

• TidewaterClan
    October 15, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Mobile Photo

I'm using song school latin with my 8 year old and she & my 12 year old adore it. They look forward to Latin! It comes with a cd full of songs like the Quid Agis chant, Action Song (if you're happy and you know it wave your hand - man-us!). It makes the basic Latin easy.

I was teaching my older daughter French but she wants to switch to Latin now. I'm going to check out the curriculum the other ladies mentioned, but I'm starting with: http://findmango.com/

Your Columbus library should access that & give you free online lessons WITH pronunciation too which is extremely helpful.  I'm accessing it from Cincinnati's.

There are tons of languages in there from Latin to French to Mandarin to pirate! :)

• redhead-bedhead
    October 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I thought about starting Latin, but I took it in high school and hated it.

We are working on their Spanish, but since it is a language spoken in our home, I want to pick another language to broaden their horizons.

• TidewaterClan
    October 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I took Latin in high school too, and it was my favorite class ever!  Our Latin teacher was the best teacher anyone could ever want for Latin.  She's teaching Classical Languages at a college in Colorado now. 

We had toga parties where the seniors could buy freshman to bring them grapes, water, etc.  She had a party during the holidays and we'd all watch "Ben Hurr" and eat figs.  Once a year we'd go to the Indy 500 with a metal 'chariot' the metal shop made.  Two people would hold it and run in front, the lightest freshman would sit in the cart, and we'd run relays around the pit stop.  The pit stop is way longer than it looks on TV!  :) 

I'm going to incorporate as much of that as I can (with two students of course!) into our routine.  I think the big dog can substitute for a lion in the Colosseum.  :)

Way too cool about firsthand Spanish, btw!

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

We are working on their Spanish, but since it is a language spoken in our home, I want to pick another language to broaden their horizons.

• redhead-bedhead
    October 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

We got to watch documentaries.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I took Latin in high school too, and it was my favorite class ever!  Our Latin teacher was the best teacher anyone could ever want for Latin.  She's teaching Classical Languages at a college in Colorado now. 

We had toga parties where the seniors could buy freshman to bring them grapes, water, etc.  She had a party during the holidays and we'd all watch "Ben Hurr" and eat figs.  Once a year we'd go to the Indy 500 with a metal 'chariot' the metal shop made.  Two people would hold it and run in front, the lightest freshman would sit in the cart, and we'd run relays around the pit stop.  The pit stop is way longer than it looks on TV!  :) 

I'm going to incorporate as much of that as I can (with two students of course!) into our routine.  I think the big dog can substitute for a lion in the Colosseum.  :)

Way too cool about firsthand Spanish, btw!

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN