Homeschooling Moms

TidewaterClan
"King of the Wind" by Marguerite Henry -&- What were your favorite books growing up?
October 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM

This was one of my favorite books when I was young, so I borrowed it from the library the other day to read as our nighttime story.

We polished it off in just three nights!  It's 173 pages, and includes plenty of beautiful illustrations so isn't terribly long.  The second night we were up past 11:00 to read 'just one more chapter!'  DH finally asked if we were ever going to sleep, LOL.  They're usually out by 9:30, but who am I to stop a good story?  :)

Have you read any good family books lately?  What were your favorites when you were young?

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    October 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM

That's awesome!!

Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, and the Wind in the Willows are some favorites.  We are planning Rip Van Winkle later this month too.

• TidewaterClan
    October 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    Those are wonderful choices. Rip Van Wrinkle is a great idea for this time if the year! I think I'll use that here. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's awesome!!

Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, and the Wind in the Willows are some favorites.  We are planning Rip Van Winkle later this month too.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    October 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    Little house on the prairie. The mandie series. I could probably name more lol.
    I think I remember reading that one.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    October 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Wrinkle in Time, Mrs. Piggle-wiggle (which I am reading with the kid I take care of), Encyclopedia Brown, Babysitters Club and tons more. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I don't remember really reading children chapter books as a child!

As an adult I have falling in love with many of them though!

• coala
    by coala
    October 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Maniac McGee was one of my absolute favorites in 5th grade.  I read it about 20 times.  The book got lost in a move and I have been so sad that I haven't been able to replace it.  Charlotte's Web was another that I read several times, Six Silver Spoons, and I couldn't get enough of Baby Sitters Little Sisters books.

All I can say is that I hope my girls enjoy reading as much as I did.  I as also the crazy kid that read the encyclopedia and dictionary for fun.

Edit:  I just broke down and bought the book I have been missing for years.  Super excited to read it when it gets here.

• TidewaterClan
    October 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Those are fantastic!  Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle rocks!  Wrinkle in Time is a book that was DEFINITELY better as a book and not a movie!

Quoting kmath:

Wrinkle in Time, Mrs. Piggle-wiggle (which I am reading with the kid I take care of), Encyclopedia Brown, Babysitters Club and tons more. 

• TidewaterClan
    October 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM

LOL, me too!  Plus I'm catching the adult characters' side of things now that I'm rereading some too.

Quoting usmom3:

I don't remember really reading children chapter books as a child!

As an adult I have falling in love with many of them though!

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM

LOL, I forgot how much I LOVE Mrs Piggle-Wiggle till we started reading it this summer!  I have Wrinkle in Time but need to get the rest of the series.  I hope to read them to my son soon.  Phantom Tollbooth is another great one.  D and I just started reading it together!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Those are fantastic!  Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle rocks!  Wrinkle in Time is a book that was DEFINITELY better as a book and not a movie!

Quoting kmath:

• TidewaterClan
    October 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM

That does look like a great read (from the Amazon description).  Added to our list, along with Six Silver Spoons.  Thank you!  Charlotte and Baby Sitters are wonderful stories as well.

LOL on the Encyclopedia and Dictionary!  I could spend hours with our Britannica set!  I'm hoping my girls love reading (for fun) too when they're older. 

To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one.  ~Chinese Saying

Quoting coala:

Maniac McGee was one of my absolute favorites in 5th grade.  I read it about 20 times.  The book got lost in a move and I have been so sad that I haven't been able to replace it.  Charlotte's Web was another that I read several times, Six Silver Spoons, and I couldn't get enough of Baby Sitters Little Sisters books.

All I can say is that I hope my girls enjoy reading as much as I did.  I as also the crazy kid that read the encyclopedia and dictionary for fun.

Edit:  I just broke down and bought the book I have been missing for years.  Super excited to read it when it gets here.

Homeschooling Moms