Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
Plans...
October 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM
......The best laid plan

Are you still following the plans you started with when you decided to homeschool OR did those plans go by the wayside and you are now doing something different ?

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    October 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Same method and general philosophy - traditional, rigorous, college preparatory.

• TJandKarasMom
    October 12, 2013 at 8:04 PM

We are still pretty much sticking to the plan, but it's only been a couple of months.  I have changed some of the curriculum to work better, but overall my intentions and methods are what I thought they'd be.

• Bleacheddecay
    October 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM

We constantly changed and revised as we found out what worked well for each of our kids and what didn't.

• KrissyKC
    October 12, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I'm not even following the plan I came up with at the beginning of THIS year...   I started homeschooling 4 yrs ago.   I can't believe it's been that long!!! 

• TidewaterClan
    October 12, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    Same curriculum and plans, with added math and language arts games to make honing skills a fun experience.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    October 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    Different method same plan. I had two goals when I started and they are still the same. I want my kids to love books and to love learning. I started out traditional and now use more child led learning. I came to realize children learn best play and communicating their ideas.
  • NYCitymomx3
    October 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Quoting kirbymom:

......The best laid plan

Are you still following the plans you started with when you decided to homeschool OR did those plans go by the wayside and you are now doing something different ?

My philosophy is the same (relaxed, delight-directed, w/some Charlotte Mason), but it's been implemented differently over the years.  

We started with a Charlotte Mason approach, trying to follow as many rules as we can, then when I realized the kids needed to deschool, I let them just "be" for a few months.  So much was getting done in these months, that I decided that full-on unschooling was our path.  

After several wonderful years of that, the kids asked me for more structure.  We researched various curricula and settled on Ambleside Online, which is a Charlotte Mason curriculum.  The kids have always loved that method's activities (narrations, copywork, dictation exercises, short lessons, afternoons free, nature study, classic literature, art study, etc) and even partook in those while unschooling.  

That lasted a few years (more for ds).   Dd then auditioned for and was accepted to the prestigious Fame high school in NYC and ds continued Ambleside.   Now dd is a senior there, and ds and I have moved away from Ambleside into our own creation.  We use quality programs that he loves (Lightning Literature, Saxon Math, K12 Human Odyssey, etc) and spend about 2-3 hours per day on those.  He still does narrations, dictation exercises, short lessons and has afternoons free.  He pursues his many interests for the majority of his day, as much of our unschooly ways have reappeared (the curriculum and structure are his choice and he enjoys it).  

As always, the month is peppered with great field trips and homeschool group classes (we just had a class on fossil skulls at the American Museum of Natural History, and over the next month we are seeing the Bodies exhibit and the Ripley's Believe it or Not exhibits in Times Square).  

We're both happy with how it's going so far.  Who knows?  Our homeschooling may change again some day.  We're both open to it!

• ambertreas76
    October 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM

We change it up depending on the childrens' interests.  The basic plan is the same.  The execution changes.

• kirbymom
    October 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    Sounds wonderful!
    So your daughter is going to the famous dance school Fame?!? Am I correct in that?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting kirbymom:......The best laid plan

My philosophy is the same (relaxed, delight-directed, w/some Charlotte Mason), but it's been implemented differently over the years.  

We started with a Charlotte Mason approach, trying to follow as many rules as we can, then when I realized the kids needed to deschool, I let them just "be" for a few months.  So much was getting done in these months, that I decided that full-on unschooling was our path.  

After several wonderful years of that, the kids asked me for more structure.  We researched various curricula and settled on Ambleside Online, which is a Charlotte Mason curriculum.  The kids have always loved that method's activities (narrations, copywork, dictation exercises, short lessons, afternoons free, nature study, classic literature, art study, etc) and even partook in those while unschooling.  

That lasted a few years (more for ds).   Dd then auditioned for and was accepted to the prestigious Fame high school in NYC and ds continued Ambleside.   Now dd is a senior there, and ds and I have moved away from Ambleside into our own creation.  We use quality programs that he loves (Lightning Literature, Saxon Math, K12 Human Odyssey, etc) and spend about 2-3 hours per day on those.  He still does narrations, dictation exercises, short lessons and has afternoons free.  He pursues his many interests for the majority of his day, as much of our unschooly ways have reappeared (the curriculum and structure are his choice and he enjoys it).  

As always, the month is peppered with great field trips and homeschool group classes (we just had a class on fossil skulls at the American Museum of Natural History, and over the next month we are seeing the Bodies exhibit and the Ripley's Believe it or Not exhibits in Times Square).  

We're both happy with how it's going so far.  Who knows?  Our homeschooling may change again some day.  We're both open to it!

• kirbymom
    October 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    Quoting AutymsMommy:

Same method and general philosophy - traditional, rigorous, college preparatory.

Any majir tweaking?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN