Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
October 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM
My son is four and I think he needs speech therapy. I plan on homeschooling him next year for kinder. I don't want to use public school services so is there another choice I have? Thank you I am new to this!!!


  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    October 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM

     Medical insurance sometimes pays for part or all of things like that! Everyone assumes that public school is the only place to get help for things like that but it isn't!

  • collinsmommy0
    October 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM
    You can get a private evaluation and get your insurance to cover some private speech services. I've heard many insurances pay for part but not all of check with your insurance (I knew a family who did private speech therapy & it cost them $50/week, or $25 each time as their co-pay)
  • Pukalani79
    October 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM

     Like the others have said, usually there is some kind of private speech therapy available.  I've always just used what the schools have offered

  • homeschool833
    October 11, 2013 at 6:41 AM

    wow i have that same problem with my son and i homeschool, i took him to speech thearpy and I saw how the lady worked with him, and i decided to create a speech circulum for him, if you like i would let you know when i finish it mabe you can use it to help your son, it involves blocks, pictures, toys that are for sensory, which helps with his words such as ch, sh, wh, sound and more.......

  • kirbymom
    October 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    I would suggest you do some resesrch of your own on his speech abilities. I did a small search myself and came up with this website that you might find useful.

    Hope it helps.
  • romacox
    by romacox
    October 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM

    Many States offer assistance programs for speech to home educators. 

  • irvinehiker
    October 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM

    Look for private therapists in your area.  I have a son with autism and I use private therapy for him.  His services are paid for by a grant.  Like others have mentioned in some cases insurance will cover it too.  

  • Bluecalm
    October 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    It took 2 years to get my insurance to pay for speech for my son, then they covered it for 6 months only and decided it wasn't medically necessary. He has a severe language delay, 4 years behind in speech and 3 in language. Speech is $200 for a 45 minute session.
  • hipmomto3
    October 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM

    Speech therapy is extremely expensive. Why do you not want to utilize the services through the public school? I know here, even if you use those services, you don't have to enroll your child in PS. It's just how it is funded and implemented. Some insurance will cover it but many will not (ours did not; our son was 2 however, and birth to age three is funded and implemented by a different system in Indiana - after age three they are handed over to the public school district). I guess ST is helpful for some issues but like others said, maybe it's not the right route and there are likely things you can do already to help. When my son was in it, 90% of the work was done by us, outside his therapy times. Our son was born with a hearing deficiency and getting surgery to help correct that actually improved his speech FAR more than therapy. Has your son had a recent hearing evaluation? Or is it a pronunciation issue?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts