Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rcmama122
Leaving public school
October 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Today, my husband and I decided we will start homeschooling our daughter (1st grade) at the end of this month. She just started in a new district and we don't feel like her educational needs are being met. We haven't told her of this decision, although I have talked to her about the possibility. She tells me she doesn't want to have school at home, that she wants to actually "go" to school. How have you dealt with these feelings from your children; and how can I ease the transition?

Thanks!

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    October 10, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Can you take the time to deschool?  Take a lot of field trips, search for interests?  Can you join a homeschooling group in your area, maybe even one that has classes, so that she can feel like she is going somewhere to school?

Does she feel as though her needs are being met?  Why exactly does she not want to school at home?  What fears or dislikes has she expressed?

Oh, BTW, Welcome to homeschooling!!!

• Bleacheddecay
    October 10, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Make it fun. Let her "school" in her P.J.s

Let her help make breakfast.

Go the park and library.

Just relax and enjoy her, follow her interests.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I agree with the other Mom's definitely deschool her & find a co-op or homeschool group where she can get the classroom experienceoff & on. Take this time as you deschool to do all the fun things that her being school was not allowing you to do with her!

• rcmama122
    October 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Thank you, ladies! I just had to google deschooling :)

We live in west Texas, there's not much that is reasonably close in the way of "big" resources. However, I have already contacted the library and they have a list of other homeschooling families in the area. So that is encouraging.

Thanks for the tips! I can do this!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM

What part of west Texas? I am in the Lubbock aria! There are lots of things for homeschoolers to do here if you can afford it!

Quoting rcmama122:

We live in west Texas, there's not much that is reasonably close in the way of "big" resources. However, I have already contacted the library and they have a list of other homeschooling families in the area. So that is encouraging.

• rcmama122
    October 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM

We live in Ft. Stockton; about an 1 1/2 hours south of Midland/Odessa. I'm sure there are resources there, and will utilize when I can. That driving time adds up :)

Quoting usmom3:

What part of west Texas? I am in the Lubbock aria! There are lots of things for homeschoolers to do here if you can afford it!

Quoting rcmama122:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Yeah I know that! Lubbock might be a big city but we lack all kinds of things like a zoo, an aquarium, museumsthat are about more then wind mills & old west stuff! So if we want to see any of those things or anything really different we have to drive to Dallas, or other bigger city's!

Quoting rcmama122:

We live in Ft. Stockton; about an 1 1/2 hours south of Midland/Odessa. I'm sure there are resources there, and will utilize when I can. That driving time adds up :)

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting rcmama122:

• ablackdolphin
    October 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I have no experience with this but my first thought was to have her be involved in the decisions such as what programs you'll use and when she will do school, where, etc.  Helping with decorating a "school room", etc.

• Pukalani79
    October 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM

My middle child had a hard time with it at first.  We got her involved with a homeschool group so she was able to meet new friends which helped a lot. 

• rcmama122
    October 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    Thank you all so much! Hopefully we can make this transition as easy as possible. :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts