Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ablackdolphin
Today's reason for homeschooling..
October 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM

So, my DH is pretty onboard with us homeschooling but because he wasn't schooled in this country he really doesn't understand some things that are happening in schools these days.  So, when I find stories like the one below, I send him an email that is usually titled "Today's Reason for Homeschooling"....

Here is the link I sent him today:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/08/kristin-grasso-florida-school-letter-overweight_n_4058460.html?1381260343&icid=maing-grid7|maing7|dl9|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D388540

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  • mem82
    by mem82
    October 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Ugh. My daughter would get one of those letters. I don't really have an opinion on the actual sending of the letters but I do think a little common sense should be used. LOL

• coala
    by coala
    October 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I hate when they do stuff like that.  If that is a picture of that poor child....she is far from being at risk.  She looks like a healthy active teen.  BTW those that are active tend to weigh more than the average child because of the amount of muscle mass they have.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I remember when I was in school the PE teacher would line us up & use a measuring device to check how much body fat we had. They would do this in front of the rest of the other kids & then say out loud where everyone could here what it was. I got made fun of for being fat by the other kids (I was not fat I was just big for my age) & ended us starving myself for a few months before my parents figured out what I was doing & talked to me & got me to start eating. If my parents had not caught on I very well could have become anorexic all because of the school doing that!

• Ecoseem
    by Ecoseem
    October 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Are you kidding me? That girl looks like she understands how to take care of herself.

• ambertreas76
    October 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Disgusting.  Let's make more eating disorders and children on medication for fictitious health issues thanks to PS.  This has alot to do with government kickbacks and funding that PS schools get.  This reminds me of Michelle Obama's genius idea to regulate diets in schools that is resulting in athletes who are not receiving proper nutrition.  Yes, I blame the PS mess on the government.... and the parents of PSers for not taking a stand.  

• ambertreas76
    October 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Wow!!  That's just crazy!! 

Quoting usmom3:

I remember when I was in school the PE teacher would line us up & use a measuring device to check how much body fat we had. They would do this in front of the rest of the other kids & then say out loud where everyone could here what it was. I got made fun of for being fat by the other kids (I was not fat I was just big for my age) & ended us starving myself for a few months before my parents figured out what I was doing & talked to me & got me to start eating. If my parents had not caught on I very well could have become anorexic all because of the school doing that!

• paganbaby
    October 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM

((hugs))

I remember they did the same thing when I was in school.

Quoting usmom3:

• paganbaby
    October 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM

5'3 127lbs is fat??

• Bluecalm
    October 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    The medical providers we use are very into making parents aware of their kids' BMI. This summer my 6 year old was fussed at by the doctor for being " overweight". Geez.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts