Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Does anyone celebrate Reformation Day or All Saints Day instead of Halloween?
by mem82
October 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Or maybe alongside Halloween?

What do you to celebrate them?

Replies

• ablackdolphin
    October 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM

No but I may talk to DH about that because not only is he French, he's from Brittany (Celtic France). Might be a fun way to honor his side of the family. I should ask what his relatives do, if anything since many still live there.

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM

You'll have to tell us what he says. Sounds interesting.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

No but I may talk to DH about that because not only is he French, he's from Brittany (Celtic France). Might be a fun way to honor his side of the family. I should ask what his relatives do, if anything since many still live there.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM

We loosely celebrate All Saints.  I'm horrible at it, I've struggled getting my brood to mass for days of obligation, but I think we're gonna start since the kids are becoming much better at mass.  It's also my youngest's birthday, so we'll see how I manage.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

We don't celebrate but we do talk about it & re introduce ourselves to the history & culture.

• bluerooffarm
    October 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM

We celebrate Dias de los Muertos (the day of the dead) baking the bone shaped bread loaves, cooking lost loved ones' favorite dishes, and talking about the loved ones we miss.

We also celebrate Halloween, but Dias de los Muertos is just so much happier?  If that makes sense.

• TidewaterClan
    October 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM

We touched on Day of the Dead last year by decorating sugar skulls.  I want to do more this year, and honor my grandparents.  We'll have fried chicken, pumpkin pie, and coffee with lots of cream (grandpa's favorite).  I read more after last year and really like the sentiments attached to it.  My girls keep asking about grandma and grandpa, so that will work perfect.  Plus it's just at the end of National Hispanic Month - Sep 15 to Oct 15 - so will tie in perfectly with other things we've learned.

The bone shaped bread will definitely be added to the feast!

We do Halloween too, but this year we'll focus on our past family instead. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We celebrate Dias de los Muertos (the day of the dead) baking the bone shaped bread loaves, cooking lost loved ones' favorite dishes, and talking about the loved ones we miss.

We also celebrate Halloween, but Dias de los Muertos is just so much happier?  If that makes sense.

• TJandKarasMom
    October 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    We have always just celebrated Halloween, because well dressing up is fun. But DS asked why we celebrate Halloween and I didn't have a good answer for him...so we are going to research it this year, I will have to look into the other special days mentioned as well! I think I will learn a ton right along with them.
  • AutymsMommy
    October 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM

All Saints Day, alongside Halloween (not instead of).

Definitely not reformation day here, lol (we're Catholic).

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    October 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM

we do both, reformation day with the coop, kids come dressed in reformation costumes, play games, win prized, eat the type of food from reformation day, best costume gets prize

holloween do the usual!

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM

We are going to learn about them this year.  We don't celebrate them though. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts