Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
shaharv
Field trip ideas?!
by shaharv
October 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Hi everyone!! I live in a small town(only about 11,000 people) and there is literally no place to take my children for field trips. We've been to the library, that's the only place to take them. I have a 2nd grader and 4th grader. My town has 1 grocery store, like 5 gas stations but nothing else to go see and do. The next town away we have to plan to go to because it's that far away.It's not a place to go to that often. Any ideas of what I could do? Thanks in advanced!!!

Replies

• ablackdolphin
    October 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Is there a police department, fire station, clinic etc that might be willing to have employees talk to your kids for 15-20 min and do a short tour?  Have you talked to other mother's who have kids in school, where do they go?

Can you do a nature field trip with a scavenger hunt or a leaf hunt?

Are there any businesses in the area that might allow tours? Automotive, power plant, manufacturing?

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    October 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

is there some kinda mill? or farm? even the garbage dump is fun!

to a park with a pond? look for animals and bugs?

newspaper office?

tv station close? the weather guy loves to give tours

air port?

• gratefulgal
    October 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Here's a fun one that can turn tasty, too: Restaurants! Not only a tour, but usually a free or discounted meal, too!

• fallenangel_353
    October 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Post Office, Courthouse (Just call ahead, and it should be free for a tour) Nature Walks, Simple play at the park days. Go identify the different leaves on trees, collect different rock types. Go on a picnic and nature photography walk.  You can literally do hundreds of things just outside in the woods :)

• shaharv
    by shaharv
    October 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas!!! I will definitely put them to good use. There were some great ideas that I didn't even think about:)

• Clh1989
    by Clh1989
    October 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Fire station, post office, police station, recycling center if you have one, possibly even a restaurant. You could try coordinating a nature scavenger hunt. 

• KrissyKC
    October 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Sometimes you could get the grocery store to do a field trip...

What about a trip to a farm?  

Some plants/factories can handle small field trips, however, they sometimes require a group... not just one family.

Go to the park and do PE activities or science activities...

Hold a lemonade stand and some discussions on business and entreprenurial skills.

Driver's ed???? LOL!   Take them out to ride go-karts, discuss road safety and then go on a drive to spot road signs and hazaards.

• JasonsMom2007
    October 15, 2013 at 2:01 AM
    I can relate I'm in a town of 3,000 so your town seems huge to me! We've done the fire station, lakes, rivers, and nature trails locally. We mostly end up driving 40+ miles for our field trips though.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN