Homeschooling Moms

FootballFan12
I feel like I have dropped off the face of the earth
October 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Whoever said homeschooling is easy was lying. ha, or at least beginning homeschooling.

I am constantly going. Between housework, errands, working with the wee ones, and everyday life, I feel stretched so thin. I am starting to get more comfortable with our routine and things are starting to settle a bit, but I feel so disconnected from everything else right now.

I posted a question about site words last week, and I barely had time to log back on and check the replies. Im not ignoring anyone, I promise. I just need to find the time to do everything.

When did all you vets start to find a balance with everything that needs to be done during the day? Any tips?

What about the other new HS'ers like myself? Are you getting into a routine and figuring things out? 

Replies

• KrissyKC
    October 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM

LOL!   I'm not sure I'm a "vet", but I've been doing this four years and I just posted a vent about dealing with my hubby and homeschooling...

I don't think you ever really completely find a balance.   Except a book I read just gave me a good analogy.   It says that you need to think of all your homeschooling stuff (sight words, math, co-op, etc...) as leaves on the plant and your relationship with your spouse as the stem.   The plant will still survive and thrive if you prune off a leave here or there, but if you bruise the stem, the plant will have a hard time recovering.

I guess the best way to find balance is by making sure that what is important doesn't get neglected.  It's ok to neglect and lose a few leaves here and there, but don't neglect the stem of the plant.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    October 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    You know, all summer I felt like I couldn't get anything done, and we weren't even schooling. Now that we have started our lessons, I can somehow get those done, and still clean the kitchen, do dishes, and cook 1-3 meals a day. How? I do not know. Lol
    I think for me, I just want to be outside away from home in summer. Not inside cooking. Since the weather has cooled down I have wanted to bake, cook, and clean. I love fall.
  • mamamedic69
    October 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    This is my first year homeschooling and I'm still trying to get into a routine.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 8, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I have been at this for going on 8 years & I still struggle with getting things done like housework, grocery shopping, making dinner on time & making sure the kids have activity's to do! But it was like this before we homeschooled! I was a stay at home mom for 12+ years before we started to homeschool & I struggled with getting it all done then too! It is easier now that I don't have a baby & a toddler to deal with but older children pose there own issues!

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Wow, I'm closing in on finishing my first year.  Go me!  I am still on a roller coaster.  Some days feel really good, others not so good.  A routine?  Not really, but I think I'm gaining clarity on what I feel is important and such.  I say this because it's been like 2 days since I really deeply questioned my abilities.  :)  I have a lot of flexibility for my own chores, because my husband works at home.  Even if he's not watching them, per se, he's there in case of emergency, which is what I feel like my kiddos need when I'm not available, not necessarily the constant interaction.  But I do feel like I'm reinventing the wheel a lot, not because there's not a lot of stuff out there already, but because I'm trying to piece together what works for my family, and so in that case there's not really the wheel.  Does that make sense?  All in all, I'm pulled.  And so when my husband gave me the disapproval for cutting my son's hair last night (my husband likes this particular kiddo's hair wild and unkempt, much like the child himself), I said nasty things.  And honestly, I'm getting a little unkind and need to back up a bit.

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I think you find a way of cutting through the crud and seeing what really needs to be done, you know? Once you get through a year or two and realize that the kids are thriving and learning, you relax a little and life gets easier.

• coala
    by coala
    October 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM

We are heading into our 2nd full year.  I have not been able to strike a balance between schooling, work, cleaning and shuffling my children to activities.  I have however managed to find a balance and get 3 good meals on the table with dinner usually (not always) no later than 6.  I am super proud of that accomplishment.  I can tell you that I can't find the time or the energy to get most rooms of my house clean on a daily baisis, but the basics get done.

• TidewaterClan
    October 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM

We've just finished our second month of hs, and I'm starting to get the hang of juggling everything.  I start laundry before school, and keep that rolling between breaks.  I've started paying my girls in Wii bucks ($1 = 1 minute of play time on the weekend) and it's been a HUGE motivator for them.  The toys get picked up without a fuss and they're almost fighting over who helps with chores. :)   We take turns wiping down the shower each day, and I leave a small old towel on the sinks too for a quick wipe down each night.  That seems to be helping tremendously!  Then I just run the vacuum if necessary, and definitely on the weekend along with a deeper cleaning of the bathrooms and kitchen.  We don't panic if someone comes to the door, but I'd need to clean it more if the Queen were coming!

• bluerooffarm
    October 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I think I was about a full year in when I no longer felt overwhelmed all. the. time.  Now it just comes and goes.  Sometimes I am on top of it all, then I get run down and tired and things get away from me.  You will strike a balance, you will start to see the things you are comfortable with slipping.  You are not Wonderwoman, and that is totally okay!  There are things that you can let slip.

Think about life like juggling.  You have lots of balls in the air.  Homeschool, family, housework, health, etc.  Some of these balls are rubber, they bounce.  Housework bounces.  Their are ones made of wood.  If you drop them they'll dent, but they'll still be alright later.  Others: health, those are made of glass.  If you drop them, they will never be the same.  You will learn the ones that you can bounce, drop, roll across the floor, kick under the bed and forget about.  :-)

You got this!  You can do it!

• StepDucky
    October 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Ugh! I'm right there with you!! Don't get me wrong, I am loving homeschooling my son. I love that I get to spend so much time with him, but I feel myself getting pulled out of the "real world". I feel so disconnected and since my husband has been working and traveling so much lately, I haven't even been able to have a break from him. He's 11 yrs old, so he gets to stay up later. By the time it's his bedtime, I'm so tired that I don't feel like I get to unwind. Then throw in the fact that I'm taking care of my husband's grandparents on the weekend because that's the time their nurse isn't there. Ugh!! *whine whine whine* 

Homeschooling Moms