Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
paganbaby
Is this a selfish reason to homeschool?
October 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM

My 6yo has been home for a three day weekend and I LOVED it. It was so nice to have her home and that made me realize, I miss her. She was the only one who didn't go to pre school so I was used to having her home with me. She was my buddy :-)

Now during the week I really don't have much time to spend with her. After school I pick up her and Michelle (a little girl I baby sit). All of us go to the REC center, do homework, eat snack, play at the park, come home cook dinner, then it's bath, teeth and bed. On the weekends I catch up on house work and run errands. I just feel like her childhood is slipping away while I'm busy doing other things.

She's doing fine in school, but I'm really, really considering pulling her out next year. The thought of sharing her day and watching her learn and grow is very appealing.

Is that selfish of me?

Replies

• somuchlove4U
    October 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    No. I don't think it's selfish to want to have your kids with you instead of at school.
  • 5PointedHuman
    October 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I don't think so. Do you have other children you're considering homeschooling? It's so neat to see older siblings be a part of their younger siblings' learning experience. Maybe talk to your daughter and ask how she feels about it?

• jorjiegirl
    October 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    My dd is 3 and I plan on homeschooling, I can't see me sending her out into a school with ppl I don't know etc...I'm i read the stir daily and if some of those horror stories are true no thanks I will gladly keep mine home where I know she's safe
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    October 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM

no i dont think so, shes your child, why wouldnt you wana spend more time with her, they are only young once! i dont regret any time i spent with my kids while they were young( or older!) and would homeschool all over again if i had to

• ambertreas76
    October 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Not at all.  I think it is selfish when parents want their children to go to school for the sole purpose of the parents having more time to themselves.  

My husband and I decided to homeschool because of his profession, mainly.  He owns a trucking business.  He is gone 5 to 7 days with varying days off.  2 days before ps orientation, my 5 year old looked at me and said 'Mommy, I gave to spend lots of time with Daddy now because, when school starts, I won't have time to spend with him'.  You better believe, after I stopped crying on the phone with my husband, I handed in the homeschool paperwork within 24 hours of that comment.  We had thought about hs since the kids were born and even before we had kids.  We do not live in a bad neighborhood.  We have A-list schools and great teachers but my family is extremely important and time is short. Is that selfish of me?

You are not being selfish.  You are being honest with yourself that time with her means alot.  It's one of those things that are often overlooked.

• ablackdolphin
    October 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Nope, one of the reasons we homeschool!  I think lots of family time is VERY important!

• twyliatepeka
    October 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Not selfish at all. I think wanting to be in your child's life more is a wonderful reason. Parents should want to spend time with their kids rather than being content watching while the school system does most of it for you. they spend so much time in school when they go to public that when their day is done you really don't get to see them a whole lot and when you do they are tired & fussy.

• SMTCMMoore
    October 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    It's one of the reasons we chose this. I actually enjoy my children! Gasp!
  • tairakittie
    October 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Thats why I homeschool, our time on this earth is short no matter how you look at it and I want to spend as much time with my kids as I can, watch them learn and grow!! Its a great reason to homeschool.
  • AutymsMommy
    October 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I wouldn't pull a child out of a working school environment.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN