Homeschooling Moms

Mweddle
Any of you use Rosetta Stone?
by Mweddle
October 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Just curious if anyone has used it and if it would be suitable for a 7 year old to learn along with their mom.  :)  (very slowly learn together...lol)

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM

The price is prohibitive for me. 8(

• JKronrod
    October 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM

We do use it, primarily now for our 6-year-old.  IMO it is excellent as a supplement, however it is not sufficent to learn a language.  Foreign language learning is something that I care a great deal about -- it's one of the reasons we started homeschooling.  Can I ask what language you want to learn?  There are other options that might produce better results if cost is an issue.

• Mweddle
    by Mweddle
    October 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM

My daughter wants to learn Mandarin.  I'm sure because of the times I've been to China.  We would take it slow. 

Quoting JKronrod:

We do use it, primarily now for our 6-year-old.  IMO it is excellent as a supplement, however it is not sufficent to learn a language.  Foreign language learning is something that I care a great deal about -- it's one of the reasons we started homeschooling.  Can I ask what language you want to learn?  There are other options that might produce better results if cost is an issue.

• posh417
    by posh417
    October 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I've been using it for French, but we decided to get Spanish for the kids since DH's family speaks Spanish and it's easier to learn. 

• JKronrod
    October 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Awesome. 

My strong suggestion would be to find someone who can work with your daughter "live" in Mandarin.  It doesn't take much -- even an hour or two a week could help her to make serious progress.  We did this with our kids in both Japanese and Spanish, and the results have been astonishing (admittedly best with our youngest who had the advantage of Japanese au pairs and a Japanese after-school class that was catering to Japanese-speaking kids).   One idea that we have used is to advertise at the local college for a native speaker who would be willing to spend a few hours each week playing with your daughter -- but only speaking and reading to her in Mandarin.  That gives you a break and lets your daughter learn the language in a natural way.  She's going to be learning the language differently than you will -- adult brains work differently when presented with a new language (there have been some fascinating studies on this, but I digress).  THEN also have your daughter (and you) use RosettaStone everyday as well.  It's very important to have a native speaker.  You are ultimately wanting to make sure that your daughter can speak without an accent and understand a native speaker.  Vocabulary can come later, if necessary, but developing an "ear" later is a lot more difficult.  If the college student option doesn't work for you, you might also try to do classes online (another technique that we've used successfully).  http://www.edufire.com/ is  a clearing house for online tutors, but there are others out there as well.  In some cases the costs are very reasonable ($15 for an hour), but you need to find someone who is willing to work with a child. 

Again, IMO you need the interaction -- more than what RosettaStone gives you -- to effectively learn the language through immersion.

Good Luck!

Quoting Mweddle:

My daughter wants to learn Mandarin.  I'm sure because of the times I've been to China.  We would take it slow. 

Quoting JKronrod:

• hipmomto3
    October 7, 2013 at 9:47 PM

We have the homeschool version for Spanish. Honestly, we have had it 2 years and hardly ever use it. My children get VERY frustrated by it. I studied Spanish for 9 years - I even minored in it  - so I'm not a Spanish dummy or anything, and sometimes it even says I'm not saying things correctly when I clearly am. You have to reach this very specific balance between correct pronunciation AND correct and constant volume, which is tricky even for me as an adult, but very hard for young children - the volume part, I mean. I would say it's not ideal for a 7 year old. 

• JKronrod
    October 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Yes, I absolutely agree.  We don't even try to use the speach recognition option.  It's designed for adults (and I'm convinced not just adults but adult males).  It doesn't work for children. 

Quoting hipmomto3:

We have the homeschool version for Spanish. Honestly, we have had it 2 years and hardly ever use it. My children get VERY frustrated by it. I studied Spanish for 9 years - I even minored in it  - so I'm not a Spanish dummy or anything, and sometimes it even says I'm not saying things correctly when I clearly am. You have to reach this very specific balance between correct pronunciation AND correct and constant volume, which is tricky even for me as an adult, but very hard for young children - the volume part, I mean. I would say it's not ideal for a 7 year old. 

• Bleacheddecay
    October 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM

We used it free online from our library back before Rosetta Stone stopped allowing that. It didn't teach my kids nearly enough for the price you now have to pay. I would strongly suggest using something else.

• birthymom4
    October 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    We have level one German and LOVE IT.

Barnes and Noble sells them for 120$ during the holidays. We have decided German isn't the right choice for us and we are buying the spanish version...It's just practical for us, as German is not.

We watch MUZZY on YouTube as well.
  • hipmomto3
    October 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM

There are lots of cheaper, more child-friendly ways of introducing Spanish to a young child, I think. Like Muzzy, mentioned above. The public library has loads of books, and there are songs and other cheap things you can do, flash cards, etc. We work on Spanish a couple of days a week, but just conversational phrases and naming words like colors or common nouns.

Homeschooling Moms