Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
sick days?? ((Update))
October 7, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Well it is 12:00 am and my son woke up and vomited...Now normally this would warrent a sick day he does go to school if he has vomited in the last 24 hours...do you allow your kids sick days in homeschooling too???

Well its the morning he slept for a good while with the help of his gravol woke up with a low grade fever. (100.3 in the ear) so we are going to lay down and watch some movies and take it as a health and carrer day have some talks about random stuff and that should count.

Do you allow sick days?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 55% - Yep, movies and cuddles
  2. 7% - Nope, work in your Pjs
  3. 14% - I dont follow a plan.
  4. 22% - Purple Fuzzy unicorns.

Replies

• jwhit8791
    October 7, 2013 at 6:55 AM

It depends.  If they are feeling up to it, we will try and get something done.  If they are miserable, they get a pass.  I know that when I am sick, I don't feel like doing the things that I have to do (although I do usually still do them).

• AutymsMommy
    October 7, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Of course I do!

Just as I wouldn't want to do a ton of housework when I'm sick, and my husband wouldn't expect me to, I would never make them do schoolwork when sick!

In fact, we just had a nasty vomiting virus here. While I was down (about 24 hours), I did no housework and my husband brought in take out for dinner, with no complaints, lol.

• bluerooffarm
    October 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Purple Fuzzy Unicorns!

When my kids are sick we usually listen to music (music appreciation class), play yo mirro (I spy in Espanol), I read them their language arts and we discuss it, and we may watch a documentary that covers something they have/will/are learning in history or science.  So I typically count the day as a half day, but we don't do a normal school day.

• Bluecalm
    October 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Do you have to keep an account of what you do each day?
  • TidewaterClan
    October 7, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    We've only had one so far, but there is no way we would have accomplished anything.

Instead I made a comfy bed on the couch, and served up jello, 7-Up, and movies. :)
  • mem82
    by mem82
    October 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Not when they are really sick.

• coala
    by coala
    October 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

We do educational movies....and hang out on the couch.

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Depends on how sick he is.  We will still watch a documentary or discuss something we are learning about, but if he is really sick we just cuddle on the couch or he sleeps. 

• debramommyof4
    October 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM

We do educational tv shows for the sick kids and they get to read.  But the other ones are still doing school so I do not get to cuddle as much as I would like.

• KrissyKC
    October 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I play it by ear.   If they are throwing up a lot or just miserable, then no... of course they get as many sick days as they need.

If they throw up once or twice, just have a general tummy ache, etc... we usually do some lighter school, but manage to get more done than I usually expect us to.  

If they are barely sick at all, nah... we still do school.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN