Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
oredeb
Is homeschooling beneficial for children?
by oredeb
October 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Heres a debate about homeschooling interesting read, you can vote also if you want!

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-homeschooling-beneficial-for-children

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I think it is telling how many of the people who are saying no go back to socialization.  Apparently all our kids are social misfits with no ability to interact with anyone outside of family.  Cause, you know, school is the ONLY place where kids can socialize.

• bluerooffarm
    October 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I wrote up an opinion, but really it doesn't seem like much of a debate, there are very few opinions that have replies.  Also the "con" side was pretty much all devoted to people who had been homeschooled poorly as some sort of parental control (which I really doubt the validity of those types of responses) or spouting the same socialization crap that gets very old!  I mean, I bring the boys food in their cages every single day, they get to socialize.  :-/

• KickButtMama
    October 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Those things always drive me nuts. 

• Leissaintexas
    October 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

The first several "no" responses sound like whiney, immature adults who didn't get to party as teens. Every one of them spoke about the "S" word exclusively and never seemed to even touch on academics. I personally do not know a single homeschooled child who is as isolated as those people claimed they were.  I can't take any of those poor-me stories seriously.

• birthymom4
    October 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    It's funny how we never vcme across all those who were scarred by homeschooling in person.
    They must be magical people that live on the internet.
  • TidewaterClan
    October 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    I'm sure we could find one or two "public school was a horrible experience" stories with a quick google search. :)
  • Outrageous
    October 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I know a FEW families in public school that have horror stories...I use to be one of them families.  (My son was bullied so bad by a girl that was held over and a foot taller than him!)  Two of those families, I see on a regular basis.  They just send their children to school anyway because they have to work.  One family, because they are living above their means and the other just doesn't believe in homeschooling because she says children were "meant" to be in "SCHOOL" ...... Those conversations with them do not go well!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I'm sure we could find one or two "public school was a horrible experience" stories with a quick google search. :)

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    October 8, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I was isolated and unhappy in public school, so I feel firm in my intent to homeschool my dd through high school. These people who spout off against homeschooling without knowing anything about it are not worth my time. I know life as a misfit, and it happened in public school!

• paganbaby
    October 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

This has to be my favorite response so far!

Homeschooled children have more problems than benefits.

If a child has been taught in the home all his life, there is a very large possibility that he will not know how to interact with others. Sure, he knows how to interact with his mother, father and siblings, but his family more than likely does not act like the rest of the population. People act differently. If a person doesn't know how to handle these differences, he will be a loner. There will be no real way he will be able to connect to others and will be forced to go through life struggling to fit in. While the brain is developing in the early years, children are learning quickly. If a child is not allowed to experience different types of people, he will never quite understand how to deal with the many different types of people.

Posted by: Anonymous

I think the word you are thinking of is hermit, not home schooler. I realize they both begin with an H, but not all home educators stay at home and seclude themselves from the world.
  • paganbaby
    October 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM

laughing

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I wrote up an opinion, but really it doesn't seem like much of a debate, there are very few opinions that have replies.  Also the "con" side was pretty much all devoted to people who had been homeschooled poorly as some sort of parental control (which I really doubt the validity of those types of responses) or spouting the same socialization crap that gets very old!  I mean, I bring the boys food in their cages every single day, they get to socialize.  :-/

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN