Homeschooling Moms

kirbymom
Schools do better when......
October 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM
I ran across this intetesring thought.

Schools do better and produce better students when they shun uniforms and call teachers by their first names. ???

Do you agree?
Would you be okay with your student calling you by your first name?

Replies

• mrjjmt
    by mrjjmt
    October 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    Nope. My kids wear uniforms and are respectful. My foster boys school is casual and call teachers by first names and he his not nearly as respectful.
  • mhaney03
    October 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

When my kids were in public school, they called prek and kinder teachers by first name.  After that it was the last name.

• Knightquester
    October 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I don't think I personally would ever want to call my teachers by their first name, and it would not make me work any differently than I do calling them by their last name.  The Japanese school my children attend is mixed with teachers that have their students call them by their last name, and teachers that have students call them by their first names.  I don't see a difference in academic success from one classroom to another.

I've heard about the uniforms thing, and can believe that students in schools with uniforms "can" preform better and higher than students in a school that don't have that policy.  There's less for the children to fixate on as far as keeping up with fashion, style, and preferences.  So that's less peer pressure to fit in, and less teasing and bullying over clothes.  Basically less distraction equals higher preforming students.

• bluerooffarm
    October 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I do not agree with uniforms.  I think that children should have as many freedoms as we can afford them to express themselves.  BUT I think children should call their teachers with a respectful title (Mrs. Hootabatta).  Familiarity breeds contempt, IMO.  If you allow the students to think of the teacher as friends, then they are more likely to act inappropriately. 

• AutymsMommy
    October 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

My daughter's school has a dress code, but no uniform.

They call their teachers by their first names. Well, kind of. By default, because we are in the south, most of the children (out of habit) put a Mr/Mrs in front of the first name, lol.

• AutymsMommy
    October 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I'm not sure I agree. Teachers (and the headmaster) are called by their first names at dd's school. The discipline and respect there (which is mutual) is amazing.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I do not agree with uniforms.  I think that children should have as many freedoms as we can afford them to express themselves.  BUT I think children should call their teachers with a respectful title (Mrs. Hootabatta).  Familiarity breeds contempt, IMO.  If you allow the students to think of the teacher as friends, then they are more likely to act inappropriately. 

• kirbymom
    October 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    So, what is it that causes the students to be respectful in your opinion?
  • bluerooffarm
    October 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM

The only people that I  have seen cross the line in teaching have all been those ones that allow their students to call them by their first names.  A first year teacher in my old high school is now married to one of my classmates (which disgusts me, and I think he should have lost his job over it).  In my years of teaching, 1 teacher wrote love poems to his student and another had a girl student who fell for him and tried to strip for him because the lines were blurred.  I have never seen it happen when there is that clear line.  He's not Ted, he's Mr. Blotter.  You can disagree, but seriously I've seen it time and again.  Familiarity makes students think they are friends instead of professionals.  I've seen it in less stark lines as well.  They feel they can complain to Principals over grades, they disrespect the teacher's credentials.  I just completely disagree with that familiarity in the classroom.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not sure I agree. Teachers (and the headmaster) are called by their first names at dd's school. The discipline and respect there (which is mutual) is amazing.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• AutymsMommy
    October 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I mean, it's fine to disagree, lol :)

The person who made these rules has headed schools like this for the past 20 years, and it's worked so far. Keeping in mind that these are very small schools, and they WANT the children to feel like their education is a collaborative effort.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The only people that I  have seen cross the line in teaching have all been those ones that allow their students to call them by their first names.  A first year teacher in my old high school is now married to one of my classmates (which disgusts me, and I think he should have lost his job over it).  In my years of teaching, 1 teacher wrote love poems to his student and another had a girl student who fell for him and tried to strip for him because the lines were blurred.  I have never seen it happen when there is that clear line.  He's not Ted, he's Mr. Blotter.  You can disagree, but seriously I've seen it time and again.  Familiarity makes students think they are friends instead of professionals.  I've seen it in less stark lines as well.  They feel they can complain to Principals over grades, they disrespect the teacher's credentials.  I just completely disagree with that familiarity in the classroom.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• kirbymom
    October 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    Don't you think that when kids feel and think they are on the same level as any adult, that child then starts to believe they are of the same social and educational and intellectual level and therefore can not do or not listen just because they think they are on the same levels(?)

Homeschooling Moms