Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
To IEP or not to IEP?
October 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Ok ladies, I need some advice. My son has received his official diagnosis for Aspergers, ADHD and anxiety. This is a medical diagnosis from a psychologist. She advised getttng an educational diagnosis and IEP on file for him "in case he returns to school". I don't plan on him returning to school. But, he does want to go to a local college one day. 

Should I have an IEP done now just to have it in writing that he would need accomidations for testing, for example? Or should I wait? Is this even necessary for college? I do know that you need something to have extra time when completing the SATs. 

I am just not in the mood with dealing with anyone from the school system now if I can avoid it. 

Thanks in advance! 

Replies

• PurpleCupcake
    October 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I'm not sure the school system would give you an IEP without you being a student. 

But if they would... I don't see why you would do one for the sake of him going to college. 

And if you did one now..it wouldn't necessarily apply to him when he gets into college. Ieps are done yearly if not more frequently. And they basically list goals for the coming year and adaptations to his regular schedule. (More time on math and so on)

I will say this...if your child has somewhat of an average intelligence or slightly below (think Forrest Gump) he would likely test too high to get any adjustments by the time he gets to college. Which irritates the crap out of me...I ran into this problem. 

An educational diagnosis may be different, I had something like that done when my child entered pre- k. It basically identified his special needs at the time.

If your kid is young (less than high school age or even less than 12th grade)...an IEP would be severely dated and would not apply by the time he gets to college. 

This sounds like an issue of the psychologist not understanding homeschool and how an iep works. 

Even if you could get the school to do one, just for the sake of one day returning to school...they would do another one once you put him in school. 

If you somehow do an iep through a private source, it would be helpful to you right now, but wouldnt help by the time he gets to college.

Call the college and see what they would require for a special needs child to have adjustments. 

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Skip the IEP.  Like purplecupcake said, it's just for the public school and it's done annually.  You get to make any adjustments you deem necessary in your own home.  I don't know anything about the SATs.  Our district won't provide special needs support or IEPs if you're homeschooling.

• KickButtMama
    October 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM

An IEP has zero bearing on college. If your state requires a lot of formal testing than an IEP might be advisable, just for special accommodations during testing, but the official DX might suffice. Really an IEP is for special services Through the school system. Some homeschool kids w/ IEP's go to the public school for their therapies. Personally I don't want those wackos anywhere near my Spectrum son, but that's me (our local school has 'quiet rooms' - little empty cement closets where they shut kids who are overwhelmed. No thanks!) we just use private services for speech therapy, occupational, etc. my sons official DX - Aspergers (Autism Spectrum), SPD (sensory processing disorder), developmental delay. We've worked hard with him at home so he doesn't go to lots of therapies. He's 12 now. GL!

• Decemberlov
    October 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    my dd has ts, ocd and adhd. she was given a neuropsych eval. by her neurologist. in the paperwork we received at the meeting for the results it started that she was eligible for a 504 or an iep. it has a list of 2 pages of recommendations for accommodations that should be made.

I would suggest just going to a neurologist to diagnose and do a neoropsych test and keep these v results on file. but legally her may need to be retreated and reevaluated if this is going to be used way down the line but they should be able to tell you there. the team we work with is incredibly knowledgeable about all these issues.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    October 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    I don't know much about them.
  • Leissaintexas
    October 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    Homeschooling IS an IEP. All it does is tailor the education for an individual. That's what homeschooling does. That official document means nothing in real life and I can promise you that any college he goes to will laugh in his face at the idea of an IEP. my son had an IEP for aspergers and had all these accommodations that he just assumed the rest of the world would adhere to. Imagine his surprise when real life intruded. at 24 yes old, he has yet to complete a whole semester because "this is a lot harder than high school and no one will help me." Colleges don't offer accommodations. Its best to learn how to deal without them. I feel like the PS failed to prepare my child and I wish I'd never even heard of IEPs. No, actually, I just wished I'd had the confidence to hs my aspie..
  • Bleacheddecay
    October 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

When my son went to college, I had him evaluated and we helped put in the accommodations he needed. Sadly, he needed verbal testing but didn't want it. He is a great verbal reasoner, just off the charts. I guess he thought he wouldn't seem laid back and cool enough if he did that.

When you son gets to that point put in absolutely EVERYTHING that could help him. You don't need an IEP to do that.

My son quit and his future is a lot more dim because of it. It makes me so sad but he wil have to find a different path I guess.

• QueenCreole313
    October 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    Thank you that explains a lot! My biggest concern would be him getting untimed SAT or other college entrance exams. He's 10 now so I have plenty of time. Thank you!
  • QueenCreole313
    October 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    Thanks, Mama! I feel the same way. I don't want anyone from the school system around him. They've done enough damage!
  • kirbymom
    October 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    You could use some of tbe SAT books that give practice work to help prepare for the actual test. This way you are helping him to prepare in your way and on your time. You'll know when to step up the help and when to slow down as well.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN