Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mndzjen
Your child's own YouTube channel?
by mndzjen
October 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Would you allow your child (say 7 yrs old) to have his/her own YouTube channel? With supervision of course! 

My daughter wants to make educational videos to post on YouTube. Things such as; how to make pancakes (from scratch), things that are indigenous to this specific area of Mexico, Spanish lessons for kids, Minecraft tutorials and other fun subjects she's thought up. 

I was thinking of using it as an incentive to get her to focus and make our schoolwork during the week more pleasant. Videos every Fridays or something. 

Do any of your children, say ages 7-12, have YouTube channels? If so what sort of content do you allow them to upload? Privacy? 

Replies

• TroyboysMom
    October 5, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I would not, but I do know a couple of parents who do.

• BatMom.
    by BatMom.
    October 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM
    I wouldn't, because I don't post anything identifying of my Son online..but also because people can obtain copies of YouTube videos and post them as their own.
    That's a cute idea, though. I'd just keep them for myself and my Son to watch, like I already do.
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 5, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I have some videos up of my kids (their educational stuff), but it's on my husband's account.  And he's unfortunately found that disabling comments is important because you get nasty trolls even when a 2nd grader is explaining a tsunami.  Stupid internet.

• KickButtMama
    October 5, 2013 at 8:25 AM

My kids make videos, but I set them to private, so only those people w/ the link can view, then we send out the link to everyone. 

• mndzjen
    by mndzjen
    October 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM

What the? Seriously, what is wrong with people?!? I'm definitely going to make the videos private, and her friends and family can have the links to them to watch. :) You're right, stupidity runs rampant on the internet at times, it's so unfortunate. 

Quoting hwblyf:

I have some videos up of my kids (their educational stuff), but it's on my husband's account.  And he's unfortunately found that disabling comments is important because you get nasty trolls even when a 2nd grader is explaining a tsunami.  Stupid internet.

• mndzjen
    by mndzjen
    October 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM

That's exactly how it's getting set up. I don't need creepers or rude people ruining something that is supposed to be a fun, positive, educational experience for her. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

My kids make videos, but I set them to private, so only those people w/ the link can view, then we send out the link to everyone. 

• Leissaintexas
    October 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    Mine did tthe bouncing egg experiment and wanted to video it. I told him we could post it to fb for family but I wasn't posting it to YouTube. But I know how much kids love documenting their learning. im just not sure YouTube is the place for a kid. Its scares me a little lol.

• Chasing3
    October 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

they use mine (age 9, 9 and 11) currently since then I can easily log onto my computer and see the viewing history. And I add things to the watch later list that I find and are educational.

I did make a channel for the one I'm homeschooling to upload some videos he's made, but only to share with family and they are set to private.

The only reason I don't want them to use that account is the newer accounts you open only use the name you register with (my real first and last name because it only links through gmail now) and i don't want them liking or leaving comments on other random videos with my first and last name attached to it. The old account I have is an anonymous, made-up name. I can't figure out how to make the new account have a fake name, unless I make up another gmail account with a fake name.

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I wouldn't, he uses mine when he wants to post something or watch something.  That way I can monitor what is going on and make sure things are set to private.

• kirbymom
    October 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    You could do this with a blogging site for kids. I let my older kids post small videos every now and then but not all the time.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts