Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
refusing to work...
October 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Do any of your kids have days where they just refuse to do work...I am trying really hard not to yell but when I say its time to do work and he just goes "Hmm Nope I'd rather not" I want to do so much more then put him in time out...

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Say, 'Ok.' Then wait until he asks for TV, snack, lunch or to go outside. Then say, "Hmm, nope. I'd rather not."

• Connorsmommy13
    October 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Quoting mem82:

Say, 'Ok.' Then wait until he asks for TV, snack, lunch or to go outside. Then say, "Hmm, nope. I'd rather not."

Doing that...I just feel like a failure...its a easy day to day too and he is just stubbrone....

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Well, if you added, 'Since you chose not to put in an effort, I am choosing not to put in an effort. Nothing but school work or quiet reading can happen.' It might help.

Honestly, if my kid habitually did that, we'd have a horrible time of it but the school work WOULD be done. Some kids need to be out stubborned. If he is getting out of the work, even to stand in the corner, he wins. My son has sat at a table and sobbed but eventually the bare minimum got done (Math and Spelling). The next day, I made sure I adjusted what we were doing to make sure that wasn't the problem, but just not doing it isn't an option here very often. I mean, every once in a while, I can usually tell the kids aren't feeling it. Some times, I will call a free day, but any sassy comments mean we work. 

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting mem82:

Doing that...I just feel like a failure...its a easy day to day too and he is just stubbrone....

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Some days, it's going to feel like a failure but even a public school teacher has days like that. 8) Just try again the next day.

• kirbymom
    October 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    You could tell him okay but you'll gave to do some excercizes instead. Then have him do some jumping jacks and some leg/foot hops.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Try to offer a trade off! He dose the work you would like for him to do & you will do something with him or for him that he always wants you to do but you don't normally want to do! Like my youngest loves homemade cookies but sometimes I just don't want to make them so when I have things I want him to do that he dose not want to do I make a deal if he dose XYZ I will make cookies. It works most of the time!

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I thought I had the perfect little comeback for this today.  My son owes me a rewrite/redo of a speech/presentation.  It's NEVER going to happen.  If he has his way, anyway.  I gotta get off here and kick some butt.  But anyway, I made 3-4 phone calls today because of a water leak that's been going on so long we have algae and a potentially dangerous sidewalk situation.  I got to tell him it's because people haven't been doing their job that others are going to get hurt.  Made an impact for a minute, maybe less.  But it showed him that there are consequences beyond losing Wii privileges once you get out of my house.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM

You are all over it today.  :)

Quoting mem82:

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

It's all the Coke I've been ingesting. The chemicals in Diet Coke will make anyone go a little cray cray. lol

Quoting hwblyf:

You are all over it today.  :)

Quoting mem82:

• TidewaterClan
    October 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    Good luck motivating him today. Sometimes we boulder through the subjects the girls aren't as excited about to get to the fun stuff (art, music, etc.). They usually perk up over those.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN