Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
refusing to work...
October 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Do any of your kids have days where they just refuse to do work...I am trying really hard not to yell but when I say its time to do work and he just goes "Hmm Nope I'd rather not" I want to do so much more then put him in time out...

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Is that what it is with me?  Oh well, there's no turning back now!

Quoting mem82:

It's all the Coke I've been ingesting. The chemicals in Diet Coke will make anyone go a little cray cray. lol

Quoting hwblyf:

You are all over it today.  :)

Quoting mem82:

Say, 'Ok.' Then wait until he asks for TV, snack, lunch or to go outside. Then say, "Hmm, nope. I'd rather not."

• KrissyKC
    October 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM

No no not, it's not a failure to do that at all.   What you are doing is laying the foundation for him to CHOOSE to do his schoolwork tomorrow.   Getting him involved in the decision to complete is own work is a gigantic success.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting mem82:

Say, 'Ok.' Then wait until he asks for TV, snack, lunch or to go outside. Then say, "Hmm, nope. I'd rather not."

Doing that...I just feel like a failure...its a easy day to day too and he is just stubbrone....

• Connorsmommy13
    October 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Quoting KrissyKC:

No no not, it's not a failure to do that at all.   What you are doing is laying the foundation for him to CHOOSE to do his schoolwork tomorrow.   Getting him involved in the decision to complete is own work is a gigantic success.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting mem82:

Doing that...I just feel like a failure...its a easy day to day too and he is just stubbrone....

Thanks....Finally we are done the bare minium for the day...going to be double on monday but I finally got the spelling and grammar and some math done.... Just imainged a happy school day, not this much fighting!

• aneela
    by aneela
    October 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM

glad you got that done :)

sometimes ppl and kids just have those moods...hopefully they wont be too often

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Thanks....Finally we are done the bare minium for the day...going to be double on monday but I finally got the spelling and grammar and some math done.... Just imainged a happy school day, not this much fighting!

• Connorsmommy13
    October 4, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Quoting aneela:

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

It was this week....just bad...guess I could blame it on the weather...6 days of rain without a let up...

• aneela
    by aneela
    October 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM

well hey weather can affect ppl in a bad way...i know for me...it really does make me less motivated to do stuff

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting aneela:

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

It was this week....just bad...guess I could blame it on the weather...6 days of rain without a let up...

• KickButtMama
    October 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Lol, my kids know they have Nothing without finishing school work & chores - no video games, no tv, no digital gaming (Minecraft) etc. they think I'm the mean mom, especially since it seems like their friends don't have to worry about chores except for their rooms. 

It works for us! We do behavior bucks, so the kids earn fictional bucks by doing what they are supposed to, if they don't, then they don't have enough bucks to 'rent' electronics from me in the evening. Lol

Quoting mem82:

Well, if you added, 'Since you chose not to put in an effort, I am choosing not to put in an effort. Nothing but school work or quiet reading can happen.' It might help.

Honestly, if my kid habitually did that, we'd have a horrible time of it but the school work WOULD be done. Some kids need to be out stubborned. If he is getting out of the work, even to stand in the corner, he wins. My son has sat at a table and sobbed but eventually the bare minimum got done (Math and Spelling). The next day, I made sure I adjusted what we were doing to make sure that wasn't the problem, but just not doing it isn't an option here very often. I mean, every once in a while, I can usually tell the kids aren't feeling it. Some times, I will call a free day, but any sassy comments mean we work. 

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting mem82:

• TidewaterClan
    October 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Oh, that is a great idea! I told my 12 year old and her eyes got big. :).

That would work well here!

Quoting KickButtMama:Lol, my kids know they have Nothing without finishing school work & chores - no video games, no tv, no digital gaming (Minecraft) etc. they think I'm the mean mom, especially since it seems like their friends don't have to worry about chores except for their rooms. It works for us! We do behavior bucks, so the kids earn fictional bucks by doing what they are supposed to, if they don't, then they don't have enough bucks to 'rent' electronics from me in the evening. LolQuoting mem82:Well, if you added, 'Since you chose not to put in an effort, I am choosing not to put in an effort. Nothing but school work or quiet reading can happen.' It might help.Honestly, if my kid habitually did that, we'd have a horrible time of it but the school work WOULD be done. Some kids need to be out stubborned. If he is getting out of the work, even to stand in the corner, he wins. My son has sat at a table and sobbed but eventually the bare minimum got done (Math and Spelling). The next day, I made sure I adjusted what we were doing to make sure that wasn't the problem, but just not doing it isn't an option here very often. I mean, every once in a while, I can usually tell the kids aren't feeling it. Some times, I will call a free day, but any sassy comments mean we work.  Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting mem82:

• mndzjen
    by mndzjen
    October 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

My daughter had a couple rough days this week where she was being too goofy to concentrate or distracted or just not wanting to do the work. When that happened to me, I just switched to a different subject. Like, I know my daughter enjoys math, science, art, and journal time, so when we were working on one of her not-so-fav subjects and she's started going downhill I suggested we try one of her more favorite ones and then go back to the other. Worked like a charm for me! I just hope it keeps working :) My daughter is 7 and while she can be a turd at times, she's for the most part well behaved and gets her work done. 

• TidewaterClan
    October 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Mobile Photo

Completely using Kickbuttmama's idea here! :) I made some Wii bucks (good for any electronic gaming source!) using PowerPoint, then copying onto colored paper. There's been quite a bit of excitement about them already today. Not sure if it would help others, but I thought I'd go ahead and post it.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN