Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kmath
Unit Studies?
by kmath
October 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I have been contemplating going this route instead of each subject being a separate thing.  It would mean scraping a lot of the books and materials I already have, but I can use some of them later.  If you do, how do you incorporate English into it?  Mostly grammar, I can get writing and reading in easily enough, but DS still needs the basic grammar stuff and I have no clue how to do that when talking about, I don't know, castles.  I am just playing around with a lot of different ideas right now and this was one of them. 

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I don't do enough grammar, I usually just talk about it when it comes up.  Which is going to be my downfall, I need to work on it more. But I think it would be fascinating to study how people long ago, when they built the castles, spoke and compare it to today.  Spelling has also changed a great deal and that would be another thing to tackle.  I do units(ish), but I also do some separate stuff to make sure I have continuity and I'm moving forward in those areas.

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM

This is my worry, that I won't do enough.  DS is good at English and I don't want him to get behind.

Quoting hwblyf:

I don't do enough grammar, I usually just talk about it when it comes up.  Which is going to be my downfall, I need to work on it more. But I think it would be fascinating to study how people long ago, when they built the castles, spoke and compare it to today.  Spelling has also changed a great deal and that would be another thing to tackle.  I do units(ish), but I also do some separate stuff to make sure I have continuity and I'm moving forward in those areas.

• KickButtMama
    October 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Honestly, for grammar, I usually have a couple of rules of the month, and when the kids are writing about the units, they have to incorporate the 'rules'.

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Sometimes, I just look for a themed grammar sheet online. LOL

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    October 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM

ive been using units studies for all the subjects for years now, except math and english(grammer inclulded) i have a separate book for math and for english(even though i include some in my unit studies.) its worked for us all these years.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    October 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM

BUMP!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts