Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
NdAppy
Newbie looking for advice and support
by NdAppy
October 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Hi all!  We're looking at taking our three boys (10, 6 and 5) out of public school and venture into homeschooling.  This came to a head over the last couple of weeks. 

I've already done the research for our state laws (need 14 days notice of intent and some state testing at certain grades). 

I'm mostly looking for advice and support.  Advice in what has worked for you ladies and what works for you as well as reviews of the different types of homeschooling stuff out there. 

My family is supportive, but they are 2000 miles away.  I'm expecting to catch hell from my SIL (she'll claim I brainwashed DH) as she is a teacher. 

Anywho, nice to meet everyone and I look forward to getting to know you. 

Malauree

Replies

• leksismommy
    October 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

BUMP

• kirbymom
    October 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    Hi! :) Nice to meet you. You sound pretty prepared. Goid job! :)
    One of the tips I would suggest is finding out what types if learning styles yoyr children have. Knowing how they learn how helps you tailor their learning to their specific needs and wants.
  • Taliya12
    October 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

homeschooling is fun and wonderful choice but the number one key element is patience. Try homeschooling for a month by yourself. if you enjoy it then you are a natural. other options, you can find other mothers in your town or close by that home school and do it as a group and switch off days so you can have a break.  I just stop homeschooling but i put my kid in a private school that goes along with my beliefs about the education system.You will be surprise at what you tube can teach your kids.  worksheets i got from ixl.com for math and education.com

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Welcome to the group! I agree that you need to learn their learning styles so that you can make sure what you use works for you! Taking some time to adjust can help make the first year not so hard.

• Bleacheddecay
    October 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I would deschool them at first. It may seem difficult to wrap your head around but the rewards long term are much greater if you and they, can shed the "school" mind set.

http://www.livingjoyfully.ca/unschooling/getting_started/what_is_deschooling.htm

• NdAppy
    by NdAppy
    October 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Thanks ladies!  I have some ideas of what works for the 10-yo, but need to figure it out for the younger two.

I'm going to look for other homeschooling families near me.  I do have the email of the leader of the group near me so I'm going to shoot her another email. 

• Chasing3
    October 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM

i choose my curriulum materials by mostly reading forum posts on as many sites as I could find, seeing what other people were using, then went and googled the titles to see what looked like it would work for us.

I found the advice I got along the lines of "go with the flow" to be initially very vage, but ultimately the most true once I dove in and actually got started. I now completely realize that trying to stick to a tight schedule and start a textbook on page 1 and keep going straight thru is really boring at our house. We might do an entire day on a project in science. Then the next day might do 30 minutes in each subject according to "the plan." Then the next day do all reading... I've come to conclude it doesn't really matter and a lot of what is done in public school is only done that way because there are 25 kids in a room, all at different levels, and all have to be coralled from one activity to the next in some semblance of order, and deep learning and investigating doesn't really happen much!

good luck!

• KrissyKC
    October 3, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Well, there are several types and styles of homeschooling.   The most popular ones are... unschooling, Charlotte Mason, and ecclectic (where you pull from many sources)...  There are traditional approaches, religious styles, etc...

I would begin by learning about the different approaches to home education..   I'd also begin by letting the kids rest and little and "deschool"... if you look up deschooling, there are some good articles on the value of letting public school kids rest a bit before starting to homeschool.

For me, I guess I'm mostly Ecclectic.   I use curriculum, but pull from many sources.   Also, I teach from the gut sometimes, and other times follow their lead.

You can find reviews on curriculum at a variety of places.  One I like is homeschoolreviews.com  (it might be .org.. .it's been a while since I needed to research reviews)...

For Math, I cannot say enough about Math U See.   However, it's mastery based and might require taking a step back before plunging forward.  It's not grade level based and teaches things different.   Saxon is a good program for math, but it's pretty intense.  It teaches it very strong, but was gruelling for us.

If you don't mind Christian religion being a big part of your curriculum, we have enjoyed My Father's World.  It's a great package curriculum that teaches more Charlotte Mason and pulls from what you would consider "living books"... (outside the text book)...   

We also love Apologia science (again, heavily Christian)...  

For English, I'm finding that the traditional approach that the Mennonite schools use is reaching my older two kids (they are fairly analytical thinkers).   You can buy their things at Rod & Staff publishers.    It is VERY old school and teaches heavily on the whole diagramming sentences.   I break it up, though, with some outside literature projects, grammar games, etc...  However, lots of families don't like such an older approach at grammar.

For handwriting, Draw Write Now is fun, but I have yet to use it enough to see if it's effective.   Handwriting without Tears is top notch if you can get behind it and enjoy it with them.

Infact, whatever you choose... that's what I find the BIGGEST key...   if you are enjoying something and involved, your kids will probably really love it, too.

• NdAppy
    by NdAppy
    October 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM

You ladies are awesome. 

I know that we are going with the Saxon math for my oldest as he did the best with him and that is his learning style.  The rest is still up in the air.  The last two weeks or so we have been traveling (ND to southern Cali, and now back to ND today, all driving lol).  I do hope that we can work with the school to keep my oldest in band.  He just started the saxaphone and loves it, otherwise he really, really needs out of the school system.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM

You should check & see if there is a homeschool band or orchestra he can join.

Quoting NdAppy:

You ladies are awesome. 

I know that we are going with the Saxon math for my oldest as he did the best with him and that is his learning style.  The rest is still up in the air.  The last two weeks or so we have been traveling (ND to southern Cali, and now back to ND today, all driving lol).  I do hope that we can work with the school to keep my oldest in band.  He just started the saxaphone and loves it, otherwise he really, really needs out of the school system.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts