Homeschooling Moms

abuckalew
another question from this newcomer!
October 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM

just out of curiosity, will i have to re-test my child when i do start hs-ing her to make sure she is in the correct grade level? the reason i ask is because on her results from last years TEKS test (not sure thats what its called since TX has changed it a few times already) her math grade was slightly failing (by a few points) and her reading comprehension was only slightly passing(again by a few points). as i understand it, that means she only understands about half of what is being taught. and if so how would i go about getting her retested?

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

You don't have to do any testing in Texas! If you want her tested you can buy test from stores like Mardel that will help you know where she is or you can search the internet for free tests.

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    I would do a few free assessments to help find what works for her in Math. Reading together and asking her comprehension questions, starting easy and getting harder, would help find the reading level. Some kids don't test well.
  • abuckalew
    October 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    I agree, my dd doesnt test as well written as she does verbally

Quoting mem82:

I would do a few free assessments to help find what works for her in Math. Reading together and asking her comprehension questions, starting easy and getting harder, would help find the reading level. Some kids don't test well.

• ablackdolphin
    October 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I don't plan to do any testing other than my states requirement to test every 3 yrs (but I'm not required to give the results to anyone). Grade level means nothing to me.  We'll always go at her pace for every subject so she might be doing 4th grade reading while doing 2nd grade science and 5th grade math at age 6, KWIM?

• Leissaintexas
    October 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    You don't have to test in texas. The great thing about homeschooling is that you don't have to put her in a "grade". She can work at her own level in each subject. for example, I'm using a history curriculum that is geared toward 5th through 8th grade, I have two different kids using it. They are using the same level math, but they are about3 grades apart on language arts. You can teach at whatever level she's at. Standardized testing is not the best way to find out a child's knowledge base. Its actually quite pointless for most kids.
  • abuckalew
    October 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

thanks ablackdolphin and leissantexas. i started to see that there are no real grade levels for most homeschooling options. and like yall i dont think that saying shes in a certain level is correct for her. 

• KrissyKC
    October 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM

If you are buying curriculum, some of them come with placement assessments.

• romacox
    by romacox
    October 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM

You might test her, not to find out her grade level, but to find out what she is missing.   Free testing online

• DyslexiaParent
    October 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

For the reading testing, there are some resources at Free Reading Tests.

Although we weren't required to test, and apparently you aren't required to test either, we went ahead and tested annually because I wanted to know where my child stood.  Since he was behind when we started homeschooling, I wanted to be sure we were making good progress.  We used the Stanford and ITBS at different times for different reasons, but it was very encouraging to test and see the great progress my son was making! :-D

• kirbymom
    October 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    Yes, I agree.

Quoting mem82:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts