Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Well, I suppose this is a good problem to have, right?
by mem82
October 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM
We started in July and Missie informed me today that she will be finished with her Science curriculum before Thanksgiving. Um, that was fast. It's not super easy. It's a 7th grade Science textbook. She has to read a section, answer 2 or 3 pages in a workbook and do a quiz, daily. At the endof each chapter there is a virtual lab and test. She is also busting through her Math. I'm not sure what to do. At the rate she is going my 12yo, 7th grader will be ready for 8th grade Science and high school Algebra by Christmas. I don't know what I should do. Keep moving her up or should I attempt to do a few expansion projects to finish the year? Other suggestions?
Oh, her grades in both hover in the low to mid nineties.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    October 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

That is awesome!  I think either option is a good one.  Does she want to move up?

• Chasing3
    October 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I read something the other day, of course I'll never find the website again now, but it was full of literaure books on science. It suggested reading biographies of the great scientists and history of science. That might be a nice extension project for science? Just see what that section of the local library has that looks interesting to read.

WIth the math, I'd just keep going if I had a math inclined kid!!

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I guess it depends on what she wants to do.  If she is ready to move forward then I say let her. 

• PurpleCupcake
    October 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I have an 8th grader doing the same.

For science I am gonna move here to a different type of science..ecology, intro to life science, intro to biology, perhaps an intro to chemistry.

For math I'm gonna move her to algerbra 1

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I think I'd move her up until it was a point where she was having difficulties with the concept.  Can you imagine if someone was contemplating whether or not you needed more lessons in cleaning the oven?  Oish, boredom and revulsion would set in.  But if you can get her to the point where things are getting tough for her, that would be the place to do extension activities.

• KickButtMama
    October 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I have the same issue w/ my eldest - he moves through at least 2 grades of math and science every year. I just keep him progressing. The beauty of HS is that he can go at his own pace. I use khan academy as a filler when needed as well. 

• Maridel
    by Maridel
    October 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

As long as she's mastering the concepts and she's enthusiastic about moving forward, don't hold her back! One of the many perks of homeschooling!

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Thanks, ladies!

• Christie1952
    October 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Keep going!!! Use Nova on PBS to encourage her Science and Kahn Academy on YouTube to help on Algebra! She is enjoying learning

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN