Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Mweddle
I'm so nervous UPDATED
by Mweddle
October 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Hi.  I'm pretty new to this group.  My daughter is 6 and is currently repeating Kindergarten in PS.   She has been diagnosed with ADHD and after almost a year of trying different meds we decided we no longer want her on stimulants.  However, when she is not in a zombie like state the school can't seem to handle her.  She spends each day in the hallway or another classroom for disruptive behavior.  We get notes home constantly.  She is a hindrance to herself and others.  I am so sad for her.  It's clear to me that the current way of doing things is not working for her.  She does not learn the way the school expects her to.   SOOOO we have decided to homeschool.  She is such an awesome person and she is so smart.  I think this could be really good for her but I am unsure of my abilities.  Be prepared for a lot of questions from me!  :D 

Today I am going to the school and giving the principal our letter to withdraw my daughter from school.  I will still have 2 other kids in PS so I really hope there isn't any ill feelings towards us.  I'll update when the papers are turned in.  Her last day is the 8th (before fall break).   I have TONS of learning stuff for us to do but no boxed curriculum.  I am planning on buying some things soon like MUS and games and such to supplement what I have.  I hope I am doing the right thing.  

UPDATE:  So I was nervous until about 10am when i get a call from the teacher.  She said, "your dd hasn't gotten in trouble but I am having a sub come so I am removing her from my class for that." I was like, ".....ooooook"  and she said, "she can't go to this class or this class or this class so I am going to have to put her in with your son..."  I'm pretty sure the teacher is trying to bully me into medicating her again. (she has sent notes home for everything including sucking her thumb and told me that she didn't think her current medication was working when she knew she was no longer on a stimulant) It was my reassurance that I needed that I am making the right move.  Honestly we have never gotten ANY notes home that she was being violent or anything of that sort, its always her hyperactivity...so I'm not really sure why she couldn't let the sub know that she could send kids across the hall...It's not like my daughter would try to hit her or something.  thats not her style.  She is more of a bossy type and hyper.

I went to the school and told the principal.  She brought me in the office and tried to talk me out of it.  She assumed I was taking her out because I was angry but thats not it at all.  There are many many reasons and we've been thinking about this for a very long time.  She then started giving me advice and telling me that some kids have no structure at home (I guess she thinks I don't discipline my daughter) and that I'm really going to have to be dedicated to being structured because if I send her back to school she doesn't want to have to re-teach her to be in a classroom (to be civilized, I guess...)  Overall the meeting was good and I feel good about my decision.  Now we just need to be successful.  I know that was long but I just get so frustrated with the school when they tell me she has issues with ADHD or that they think she needs to be evaluated and they admit that she has a problem that she can't control then they act like I am just not an active parent and I don't do anything to try to solve her problems.  I AM so structured and I work SOOOO hard for her.  I just pray this pays off.  Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Christie1952
    October 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Hang in there! You are going to be successful. Have patience with her and yourself. Quite often it has been found that children learn more and easier  if they are up and moving. 

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Let 'er rip!!!  :)

Quoting mem82:

LOL What can I say? I have a wild side. ^^ LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

I don't think I ever imagined that word coming off your keyboard.  Thanks for the laugh!

Quoting mem82:

Wow! That update. The teacher can be certified as a douche. 8)

• Mweddle
    by Mweddle
    October 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

hahahaha I am cracking up right now.  i felt the same way!  I was feeling a lot of apprehension in taking her out but that phone call came right in time for me to realize that I am making the right decision!  lol.  

Quoting mem82:

Wow! That update. The teacher can be certified as a douche. 8)

• mom2Bellarose
    October 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM

It sounds like you are making the right decision for her. I wish you a great school year with her.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    October 5, 2013 at 2:33 AM
    I can say I was in almost an exact same position when I pulled my middle DS out of public 1st grade.

Now, 7 years later, DS is thrivong in 8th grade. We use a homeschool bades charter school. He keeps at least Bs and Cs with an A thrown in here and there. We stopped meds when he was in 2nd grade and let him take breaks or get up and move as needed.

I will not.lie and say it was all roses, but our worst homeschool days were better than a lot of his public school issues.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts