Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Happy October! What is going on this month?
by mem82
October 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Field trips? Science? Halloween or Reformation Day?

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    October 1, 2013 at 8:24 AM

We've decided to do both Halloween and Dias de los Muertos this year.  I've always liked the idea of the day of the dead kind of celebrating all the people we've lost to death in the past.  So we are reading a bit of the family history I've put together over the years and telling stories about my grandparents and dh's grandparents.  Making a few of the older recipes that have passed down.

Plus my Dad's birthday is tomorrow (72) and hubby's birthday is Halloween day.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM

What an awesome thing to do!  I have a bunch of books I want to get on family history for kids....maybe now is the time....  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We've decided to do both Halloween and Dias de los Muertos this year.  I've always liked the idea of the day of the dead kind of celebrating all the people we've lost to death in the past.  So we are reading a bit of the family history I've put together over the years and telling stories about my grandparents and dh's grandparents.  Making a few of the older recipes that have passed down.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    October 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM

We're doing Halloween and weather/seasons.  I love this time of year!

• SusanTheWriter
    October 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Just keeping our head above water!

Mom's going to visit family and DH has a business trip, so most of the month will be just me and the kids.

Dude's birthday is on the 29th, so we need to get into party planning mode. He says he wants to learn how to play D&D. I don't know how to play, but I know people who do and can teach him.

NerdGirl is taking a bunch of tests this month - SAT, PSAT, and ACT. Plus, she should be getting her driver's permit.

And they're both planning our yard decorations for this Halloween. NerdGirl is going to be Cousin It from the Addams Family, and I think Dude is going as Chekhov from Star Trek.

Nerdy? Geeky? Us?!?

Yeah. Li'l bit. *gg*

• leksismommy
    October 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM

My DD has a 2 week fall break, she will be going to her great grandmas for a week.

DH starts his new schedule on Saturday, which freaking sucks, 2:30 - 11pm Sundays and Mondays off, UGH

Not sure what we're going for Halloween

Edit: Oh and we might be declaring bankruptcy this month

October is never a good month for us, November is worse

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    I'm so sorry!

Quoting leksismommy:

My DD has a 2 week fall break, she will be going to her great grandmas for a week.

DH starts his new schedule on Saturday, which freaking sucks, 2:30 - 11pm Sundays and Mondays off, UGH

Not sure what we're going for Halloween

Edit: Oh and we might be declaring bankruptcy this month

October is never a good month for us, November is worse

• mndzjen
    by mndzjen
    October 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Halloween decorating (of course, it's our 'art' thing haha) and trying to learn about what the holiday is about, how it came to be. Also we have the Day of the Dead holiday down here in Mexico so we'll also be learning about that in our History lessons :) More or less, it's going to be about Halloween though! Yay, so excited :D

• bluerooffarm
    October 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

It takes a lot of gathering to be ready for the Day of the Dead at the beginning of Nov, so we've already started picking over our recipes and stories.  They are going to draw some pictures to go with the stories.  It's already fun!  LOL  Go for it!

Quoting hwblyf:

What an awesome thing to do!  I have a bunch of books I want to get on family history for kids....maybe now is the time....  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• SusanTheWriter
    October 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM

What a fantastic idea! My mom and DH are weird about death, so I know we'll never do a Dumb Supper or a Day of the Dead ritual. It would completely freak them out.

I try to remember to ask my mom to tell stories about her family since there are no written records. DH knows very little about his. I need to start asking his mom about that sort of thing. I'm not terribly interested in genealogy, but I think it's valuable for our kids - especially as American mutts (*gg*) to see the big picture of how things came together.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It takes a lot of gathering to be ready for the Day of the Dead at the beginning of Nov, so we've already started picking over our recipes and stories.  They are going to draw some pictures to go with the stories.  It's already fun!  LOL  Go for it!

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• kmath
    by kmath
    October 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

DS is getting a week off this month to visit my dad.  My sister is taking him.  Other than that it is school as usual with Halloween thrown in!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN