Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
It's the end of September: How was your first month of schooling?
by mem82
September 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Ladies who have been at it for a while longer, how's it rolling along?

Replies

• coala
    by coala
    September 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM

We are still going pretty easy.  We have discovered speed skating and boot camp (kill me now), and swimming lessons.  The kids are still working on their states project and just plugging away at learning math facts.  I can't wait for January...so that we can truly get started and get back to a "normal" schedule (not that one truly exists lol).  But with the down time I am re-learning to meal plan and be prepared for the night with the bussiness of our schedule these days.  We join a crafting co-op in just a few weeks...not really a co-op but a bunch of girls getting together to craft and getting the opportunity to hang with other girls.  We me the Mom and the DD that are starting this and our girls hit it off swimmingly...just glad that my 7 yo has made a "girl" friend (most of her friends are boys at this point b/c that is all that we know).  I am super excited about the next month. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun is happening over there!

Quoting coala:

We are still going pretty easy.  We have discovered speed skating and boot camp (kill me now), and swimming lessons.  The kids are still working on their states project and just plugging away at learning math facts.  I can't wait for January...so that we can truly get started and get back to a "normal" schedule (not that one truly exists lol).  But with the down time I am re-learning to meal plan and be prepared for the night with the bussiness of our schedule these days.  We join a crafting co-op in just a few weeks...not really a co-op but a bunch of girls getting together to craft and getting the opportunity to hang with other girls.  We me the Mom and the DD that are starting this and our girls hit it off swimmingly...just glad that my 7 yo has made a "girl" friend (most of her friends are boys at this point b/c that is all that we know).  I am super excited about the next month. 

• coala
    by coala
    September 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I would have to say yes, it has been fun.  I have seen my family getting in shape and we are all going through changes together.  I am super excited that my oldest is making friends, as this is one thing that she misses from PS (even though) she was only there 3 mos or so.

How's your month?

Quoting mem82:

Quoting coala:

• KrissyKC
    September 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I'm feeling pretty crappy about it at the moment.   We are having a bad morning.   The kids aren't getting anything done, lying about doing stuff, doing everything super molassassy slow....

We haven't started any official school work yet... we are just trying to function this morning for some reason.

The baby is throwing constant scream-fits... argh... can I go back to bed and start over?

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Not too bad, all things considered. My oldest is flying through her Science Curriculum. I've realized that she will be done by mid year. I'm not sure how this is happening because she is doing every page of the text book. confused

Cole has FINALLY settled down into learning this year. Yay! So he is making great progress.

Now if I could just give my preschooler and toddlers a little more time and focus life would be perfect!

Quoting coala:

I would have to say yes, it has been fun.  I have seen my family getting in shape and we are all going through changes together.  I am super excited that my oldest is making friends, as this is one thing that she misses from PS (even though) she was only there 3 mos or so.

How's your month?

Quoting mem82:

Quoting coala:

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Argh! That was my day yesterday! Take 10 minutes outside to collect yourself and try to have a redo.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I'm feeling pretty crappy about it at the moment.   We are having a bad morning.   The kids aren't getting anything done, lying about doing stuff, doing everything super molassassy slow....

We haven't started any official school work yet... we are just trying to function this morning for some reason.

The baby is throwing constant scream-fits... argh... can I go back to bed and start over?

• No_Difference
    September 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Not exactly "new" to homeschooling but my little guy has started this year
     I finally figured out the bottom of Jamie's math test issue... she was honestly bored to tears after having done the worksheets... If I go over a conecept, and she can teach it back to me correctly after the next class, instead of doing any worksheets, she just takes the test. If she passes with a 90 or higher, we continue on to the next chapter the next day. Math has been going much more smoothly.
    Computer issues have arisen on cue which makes me o so happy that I don't really have anything on the computer that is absolutely NEEDED. The only sad thing with the computers crashing, Jamie lost all her work on her states project...the ONLY thing we've done on the computer so far.
    RyGuy has been doing awesome. I'm still in absolute shock on how quickly  he can absorb information right now...

• coala
    by coala
    September 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Sounds like you guys are off to a great start.  We all wish we could focus on one thing a little more.  I think once Cole is settled into his rountine and not in need of you so much, the rest will just fall into place.

Quoting mem82:

Not too bad, all things considered. My oldest is flying through her Science Curriculum. I've realized that she will be done by mid year. I'm not sure how this is happening because she is doing every page of the text book. confused

Cole has FINALLY settled down into learning this year. Yay! So he is making great progress.

Now if I could just give my preschooler and toddlers a little more time and focus life would be perfect!

Quoting coala:

How's your month?

Quoting mem82:

Quoting coala:

• coala
    by coala
    September 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I hope the rest of your day goes better.  We have ALL had those days.  My kids were being loud and obnoxious this morning after being told to settle down atleast 4 times.  Daddy had to step in which is rare.  He then separted them for the 3rd this week...which is also very very rare.  They have also lied about taking care of their responsibilities this morning..which meant that they didn't feed and water the cats...so they got into trouble over that.  I vote a re-do as well.

Quoting KrissyKC:

• AutymsMommy
    September 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I took on a full time tutoring student and I'm simply not used to teaching children who aren't my own, lol. Coupled with Autumn's school and homework schedule (since she's in brick and mortar this year), it's just... different :(

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN