Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Decemberlov
How long did you deschool if you had kids in public school...
September 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM

My daughter is in 5th grade. My plan is to pull her out in about 3 weeks. I won't be officially homeschooling her until around January. She will be spending her time at her grandmothers house throughout the day until I cut back my hrs at work.

In the mean time I will be letting her just relax and do what comes natural to her. She wants to check out books at the library about training her dog - study training methods, the characteristics of her dogs breed etc. She is a huge animal lover. As time goes by I figured I will just encourage her to keep checking out books that interest her and just let her follow her interests.

Is 4 months too long to just "wing it". In the other post one of you lovely women provoded me with a link to deschooling - it reccomended 1 month for every year she has been in school. So I'm thinking this time frame is appropriate.

Thoughts?

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    September 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I didn't deschool per se because I just can't, that's not who I am.  BUT, I'm way more relaxed about the schooling than he was experiencing, and I've learned to let go a bit on some things, so he's more relaxed now and I'm more relaxed.  Just go for it, and if it's not working for you, change it up.  :)

• AutymsMommy
    September 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I'm not one who deschooled. Autumn only "deschooled" after I pulled her for as long as it took me to order her curriculum and put together some lesson plans (a few weeks, tops)... given, it was shortly before summer vacation too, so maybe that could be considered "deschooling", lol.

My only concern would be if you want her to move on to the next grade level when other children her age/grade do. Taking October-January off, would essentially be taking an entire semester off.

• bluerooffarm
    September 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I did not deschool and I really wish I had!!  The first year we took off the summer (June-August) and when we came back, we worked much better together.  Plus I made up lost time and now my 8yo is nearly all in 4th grade( a grade ahead).  He only has 3 more weeks of 3rd grade grammar and 4 more weeks of 3rd grade spelling.

• Decemberlov
    September 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Well, in all honesty, I am very skeptical about weather she really passed 4th grade or not. I'm thinking she didn't - with the grades I saw come home I'm really just not sure how it was possible. I think they just pushed her through. So when I do put a curriculum together for her I feel like I want to go back and start at 4th grade again - if it takes a year to get through, so what. If it takes 2 months - great.

This is one of my main reasons for homeschooling too is I don't want her getting pushed through again and ending up in 6th grade with a 3rd or 4th grade set of knowledge.

I'm in NJ and from all that I'm reading it looks like there is no state testing that she's required to take or a set curriculum to follow...although I could be misunderstanding....

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not one who deschooled. Autumn only "deschooled" after I pulled her for as long as it took me to order her curriculum and put together some lesson plans (a few weeks, tops)... given, it was shortly before summer vacation too, so maybe that could be considered "deschooling", lol.

My only concern would be if you want her to move on to the next grade level when other children her age/grade do. Taking October-January off, would essentially be taking an entire semester off.

• Decemberlov
    September 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I feel it would benifit her so much. She is so stressed anymore :( She has TS and OCD  - the tourettes is worse than the OCD - but they are both increased by stress. Lately with school starting up again she is ticing like crazy and complaining that her head tic is making her dizzy and giving he a headache. She's miserable going to school. I feel like I need to reduce the anxiety and stress before I begin with any more traditional style teaching.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I did not deschool and I really wish I had!!  The first year we took off the summer (June-August) and when we came back, we worked much better together.  Plus I made up lost time and now my 8yo is nearly all in 4th grade( a grade ahead).  He only has 3 more weeks of 3rd grade grammar and 4 more weeks of 3rd grade spelling.

• bluerooffarm
    September 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM

When I pulled my oldest, he was at the point where he would vomit every single Thursday because they had their science test and their spelling test that day every week.  He was so stressed out about the tests he would literally make himself sick.  We worked really hard with the mantras school is easy and tests are no big deal just to get him to calm down.  So I really wish I had taken the time to learn what triggered his stress and exactly where he was in his understanding of science and spelling.  We started out covering stuff he knew because he had failed those tests in PS, if I had taken the time to talk and get to know him, I would have known that he got himself so upset during the tests that he froze.  I would have been able to start right from the beginning to call them assessments and I would have spent less time reviewing concepts he already had down.

Quoting Decemberlov:

I feel it would benifit her so much. She is so stressed anymore :( She has TS and OCD  - the tourettes is worse than the OCD - but they are both increased by stress. Lately with school starting up again she is ticing like crazy and complaining that her head tic is making her dizzy and giving he a headache. She's miserable going to school. I feel like I need to reduce the anxiety and stress before I begin with any more traditional style teaching.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• Decemberlov
    September 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Poor little guy :( It's so heartbreaking to watch our kids get so stressed about those things. Learning needs to be fun...not something that makes them so anxious it literally makes them sick. That's just not a life for anyone to live.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

When I pulled my oldest, he was at the point where he would vomit every single Thursday because they had their science test and their spelling test that day every week.  He was so stressed out about the tests he would literally make himself sick.  We worked really hard with the mantras school is easy and tests are no big deal just to get him to calm down.  So I really wish I had taken the time to learn what triggered his stress and exactly where he was in his understanding of science and spelling.  We started out covering stuff he knew because he had failed those tests in PS, if I had taken the time to talk and get to know him, I would have known that he got himself so upset during the tests that he froze.  I would have been able to start right from the beginning to call them assessments and I would have spent less time reviewing concepts he already had down.

Quoting Decemberlov:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• AutymsMommy
    September 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM

If you feel she didn't pass grade 4, but has had obvious exposure to the material, you may be able to do what needs to be done in just the one semester. I would suggest you find out everything you can about her struggles, strengths, and weaknesses in the meantime, before ordering any materials.

Quoting Decemberlov:

Well, in all honesty, I am very skeptical about weather she really passed 4th grade or not. I'm thinking she didn't - with the grades I saw come home I'm really just not sure how it was possible. I think they just pushed her through. So when I do put a curriculum together for her I feel like I want to go back and start at 4th grade again - if it takes a year to get through, so what. If it takes 2 months - great.

This is one of my main reasons for homeschooling too is I don't want her getting pushed through again and ending up in 6th grade with a 3rd or 4th grade set of knowledge.

I'm in NJ and from all that I'm reading it looks like there is no state testing that she's required to take or a set curriculum to follow...although I could be misunderstanding....

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• coala
    by coala
    September 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM

We didn't "deschool" but kind of let Summer happen and a vacation.  I let her settle in for a few days once back from vacation...I didn't go, but Daddy took them on a trip.  We then started in.

Can you come up with a few creative projects that she can do related to learning about dog training...or whatever she may be interested in.  I have been "deschooling or unschooling" for the last few months and my girls are really enjoying this stuff.  I guided their interest in wanting to learn about the states into this awesome lapbook that they are really into at the moment.  I also make them read for 30 min or more in a book of their choice and do some age and level appropriate math.  They are commig along.  I have one working on multiplication and my youngest is working on sbutraction...she has figured out addition (with counters still but understands the concept), so we moved on.  I am hoping by Christmas they both have their facts down and can just rattle them off.  When my oldest figures out the multiplication we will move onto division. (kind of a ramble)

• bluerooffarm
    September 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I agree that's why when I hear of other youngin's (lol) that are stressed out (Ticcing), my suggestion is to take the time to find out strengths, weaknesses, learning styles, and knowledge base before ordering curriculum or beginning to school.  Take your time, it will save you both time and money in the future.

Quoting Decemberlov:

Poor little guy :( It's so heartbreaking to watch our kids get so stressed about those things. Learning needs to be fun...not something that makes them so anxious it literally makes them sick. That's just not a life for anyone to live.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Decemberlov:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN