Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Precious333
time4learning?
September 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Has anyone tried this? Im trying to find a way to approach reading with my kindergratener and someone suggested this. I was thinking it may help him since he like computer games, and even help me take a break too.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM

We used it years ago but my kids lost interest in it. I thought it was a great program but didn't want to keep paying for something that was not getting used.

• Precious333
    September 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    Maybe we will try it for a while and see how they respond

Quoting usmom3:

We used it years ago but my kids lost interest in it. I thought it was a great program but didn't want to keep paying for something that was not getting used.

• KrissyKC
    September 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I am using it for my current kindergartener.    She's doing OK, but I just asked them to change her to first grade for language arts because she's bored with all the little "T" says t t t turtle..." stuff.    I'm not sure if it will be too advanced or not.

She tried ABC mouse and did not like it at all.  It was too blah and easy for her.   She has responded much better to time4learning.com

However, I'm still doing letter sounds, sight words, our Morning board (pinterest calendar morning boards, they are amazing!) and Morning Board notebook.   I'm also introducing random fun concepts to her and working hard on printing and other fine motor control activities (cutting, building with small parts, lacing, tracing, painting, playdoh, etc...), gross motor control (skipping, jumping, hopping, balance, throwing kicking, etc...).. we do mazes, word finds, educational board games...

Oh and she has been memorizing answers and scripture for Junior Bible Quiz involvement.   She is also in a Christmas play (non-speaking) and has to learn some music and moves.

• KrissyKC
    September 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM

oh, and she joins the older kids in Apologia.

• Precious333
    September 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    Are the morning boards hard? I kind of started a board for the boys and i forget. I am not very organized honestly! Trying, but its a challenge

Quoting KrissyKC:

I am using it for my current kindergartener.    She's doing OK, but I just asked them to change her to first grade for language arts because she's bored with all the little "T" says t t t turtle..." stuff.    I'm not sure if it will be too advanced or not.

She tried ABC mouse and did not like it at all.  It was too blah and easy for her.   She has responded much better to time4learning.com

However, I'm still doing letter sounds, sight words, our Morning board (pinterest calendar morning boards, they are amazing!) and Morning Board notebook.   I'm also introducing random fun concepts to her and working hard on printing and other fine motor control activities (cutting, building with small parts, lacing, tracing, painting, playdoh, etc...), gross motor control (skipping, jumping, hopping, balance, throwing kicking, etc...).. we do mazes, word finds, educational board games...

Oh and she has been memorizing answers and scripture for Junior Bible Quiz involvement.   She is also in a Christmas play (non-speaking) and has to learn some music and moves.

• KrissyKC
    September 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Mobile Photo

This is my board.
  • KrissyKC
    September 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I used velcro, flip chart rings, decorative tape, a thick black foam board.

I drew the clock and the counting jar by hand, then used a thick box tape to "self laminate them"... 

I made a "wall" look for the word wall words and they are just written on pieces of paper with a dot of sticky tak on the back.   I laminated the "wall" so that it wouldn't tear with repeated use.   This is our sight words, and I get the list out of a book I own with some activities that go with them.   As she learns them, we put up new words (about every week or two)... and then put them on index cards and hang them on the side there where it says "word wall words" to flash card them all.   These are the "sight words" or high frequency words.  Some people call them popcorn words.

The hands on the clock are laminated seperate from the clock and I use sticky tak to hold them on.   She gets to change the time each day, then she writes the digital time on the actual clock face.   We discuss AM or PM and what we would be doing during those times.

There is a days in school chart... it is helping her to see bigger numbers and an introduction to place value.   We add a new pipe cleaner (cut in thirds works) to the ones cup every day we do school.   When we get to ten, she helps me twist them together into ten...   eventually we will get to 100 and we will twist 10 stacks of 10 together.

She chooses the weather for the day, makes the date in pennies (she's not ready for other coins yet, but will be other money later)... yes...  I put tiny pieces of velcro on 31 pennies... argh..

She has a flash card section for shapes, and I included quite a few.   Since she knows many of her shapes, I added three-D shapes.   We use blocks and other manipulatives to teach them to her too.

I also had flashcards for her JBQ practice... but she made her pocket board in (sunday school) class one Sunday and we use hers now instead.

I have the day, date, month, year all laminated and hole punched.   They flip to the next.   We use this to discuss days of week, date, etc...  It took a couple weeks before she got OK with saying the date and using the morning board easily.  

We have a notebook with some erasable pages and some charts that go along with the board.   She copies the days in school chart and writes the date out in money.   That is sometimes hard as she only knows pennies.    I don't think it makes sense to her yet, but when we start actually teaching "money".. .I think it will give her an edge then.

We have a hundred chart that we are coloring in every day in school.   We count the days we've done... and then count the days we haven't done yet and plug them into an erasable addition problem at the bottom to equal 100.   When she gets to 100 days in school, then I have horns and confetti ready for her to run around the house yelling 100 days!  100th Day Celebration!!!!    We will also do something special that day... make a cake, go bowling... I haven't decided.  It will be a surprise.   However, she has the "special job" of being the herald of the hundred days.

She still forgets stuff and loses interest sometimes....  She's very ADHD and somewhat oppositional, too.   We haven't messed with a diagnosis, but we might have to.

It takes a lot of patience some days... so yeah, sometimes it's hard.   Sometimes, I just have to help her and make it really REALLY exciting.

• Precious333
    September 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    Thanks! I may have go attempt this sometime!

Quoting KrissyKC:

I drew the clock and the counting jar by hand, then used a thick box tape to "self laminate them"... 

I made a "wall" look for the word wall words and they are just written on pieces of paper with a dot of sticky tak on the back.   I laminated the "wall" so that it wouldn't tear with repeated use.   This is our sight words, and I get the list out of a book I own with some activities that go with them.   As she learns them, we put up new words (about every week or two)... and then put them on index cards and hang them on the side there where it says "word wall words" to flash card them all.   These are the "sight words" or high frequency words.  Some people call them popcorn words.

The hands on the clock are laminated seperate from the clock and I use sticky tak to hold them on.   She gets to change the time each day, then she writes the digital time on the actual clock face.   We discuss AM or PM and what we would be doing during those times.

There is a days in school chart... it is helping her to see bigger numbers and an introduction to place value.   We add a new pipe cleaner (cut in thirds works) to the ones cup every day we do school.   When we get to ten, she helps me twist them together into ten...   eventually we will get to 100 and we will twist 10 stacks of 10 together.

She chooses the weather for the day, makes the date in pennies (she's not ready for other coins yet, but will be other money later)... yes...  I put tiny pieces of velcro on 31 pennies... argh..

She has a flash card section for shapes, and I included quite a few.   Since she knows many of her shapes, I added three-D shapes.   We use blocks and other manipulatives to teach them to her too.

I also had flashcards for her JBQ practice... but she made her pocket board in (sunday school) class one Sunday and we use hers now instead.

I have the day, date, month, year all laminated and hole punched.   They flip to the next.   We use this to discuss days of week, date, etc...  It took a couple weeks before she got OK with saying the date and using the morning board easily.  

We have a notebook with some erasable pages and some charts that go along with the board.   She copies the days in school chart and writes the date out in money.   That is sometimes hard as she only knows pennies.    I don't think it makes sense to her yet, but when we start actually teaching "money".. .I think it will give her an edge then.

We have a hundred chart that we are coloring in every day in school.   We count the days we've done... and then count the days we haven't done yet and plug them into an erasable addition problem at the bottom to equal 100.   When she gets to 100 days in school, then I have horns and confetti ready for her to run around the house yelling 100 days!  100th Day Celebration!!!!    We will also do something special that day... make a cake, go bowling... I haven't decided.  It will be a surprise.   However, she has the "special job" of being the herald of the hundred days.

She still forgets stuff and loses interest sometimes....  She's very ADHD and somewhat oppositional, too.   We haven't messed with a diagnosis, but we might have to.

It takes a lot of patience some days... so yeah, sometimes it's hard.   Sometimes, I just have to help her and make it really REALLY exciting.

• Bluecalm
    September 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    That's like Every Day Counts. Very cool looking.

Quoting KrissyKC:

• MammaG08
    September 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Very nice!

Quoting KrissyKC:

Mobile Photo

This is my board.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to