Homeschooling Moms

Bluecalm
Now *I* need to be socialized too
September 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM

A friend of mine told me tonight that since I'm homeschooling now instead of teaching in public school I am not around any adults and am not used to adult company.   I've been hearing lots of comments about my kids needing socialization, first I heard about myself lol.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Oh wow that is a new one on me! I was sure that all of the homeschool activities with other homeschool parents counted the same as any other adult interaction!

• 1CynfulDlite
    September 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM

This mama has adult date night tomorrow night outside of the house.  YES! 

• Bluecalm
    September 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    That's what I told her, but she wasn't convinced lol.

Quoting usmom3:

Oh wow that is a new one on me! I was sure that all of the homeschool activities with other homeschool parents counted the same as any other adult interaction!

• Bluecalm
    September 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    I'm going to see the 3D Wizard of Oz movie this week with my friend who thinks I don't get out enough. :)

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

This mama has adult date night tomorrow night outside of the house.  YES! 

• Knightquester
    September 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I've heard that too from a working mom friend that has stated numerously that she thinks I should be working.  She's also told me "I should get out around adults more".  What I have to laugh about is that I do hang out with adults way more than she does.  At least once or twice in a week I go out w/o kids to the gym or to hang out with my female friends house, sometimes it's more than that if my husband and I can sneak away for alone time.  My friend works from home by herself (she sent her only child off to boarding school) and never gets out with friends, and her husband works long hours so he's rarely home.

I don't take the comments personally, I think of them as a reflection of what they themselves would want but don't have.  In my opinion I think that homeschooled children and parents are expected by the general non-homeschooling populace to live up to a standard that most  non-homeschoolers don't themselves.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    September 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM

going crazy

• paganbaby
    September 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Eh, I'm a loner by nature and so is ds. But now that dd is home, I'll have to really get out more,lol.

• armygirl16
    September 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    I'm definitely a loner by nature as well lol. I do horrible in social situations and am very awkward. We do go out every Wednesday to a board game night that now has over 90 people. Or we play laser tag, or like last weekend we went to "dogtoberfest" and then bouldering with a friend of ours and his son. Oh plus we are in an adult kickball league that has games on Sundays.
  • KrissyKC
    September 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I am "socialized"... lol!   It sounds funny just saying that.

However, I think the "me time" and "mommy's night out" depends on the situation.   Has less bearing on the schooling choices of the family as much as it depends on economic status and available sitters.

My hubby and I never have enough extra funds to go out either together or seperately.   As for going out together, that's difficult because we have not had reliable sitters nor family nearby that can handle four kids.

So, while I'm socialized... I am rarely without the kids.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    September 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    I would tell her to stop talking about things she does not understand. Home school moms andvkids have more socializing opportunities than anyone else. She also needs to learn what socialization means. She obviously Could brush up on her manners.

Homeschooling Moms