Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
diane5583
writing with broken arm
September 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Earlier I had posted about my daughter breaking her dominant arm (elbow)..So while my daughter was studying at the afterschool program while I was at work,She started writing with the hand of the arm (elbow, multiple breaks) she broke. She says it doesn't hurt and is easier. We do not see her orthopedist until thursday (have only been seen at urgent care,) and I know she will want to do the same thing tomorrow... Does anyone know if this is likely to cause damage to her broken elbow. She is splinted and in a sling

Replies

• PurpleCupcake
    September 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM

DON'T LET HER DO THAT! 

The hand/arms have many muscles and tendons...slight movement in the hand can cause the elbow to move.

Wait untill the doc says yes! 

If the damage in minimal he may say yes now. Just wait! 

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I agree!  The splint and sling aren't enough support for the breaks and while it doesn't hurt, it could be causing more damage.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

DON'T LET HER DO THAT! 

The hand/arms have many muscles and tendons...slight movement in the hand can cause the elbow to move.

Wait untill the doc says yes! 

If the damage in minimal he may say yes now. Just wait! 

• diane5583
    September 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I told her not to write with it tomorrow.  I said if the orthopedist okayed it after she was casted than she could if she wanted to

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

It should be fine once it is casted.  Then it will have stability.  DS was allowed to use his arm after it was casted.

Quoting diane5583:

I told her not to write with it tomorrow.  I said if the orthopedist okayed it after she was casted than she could if she wanted to

• paganbaby
    September 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I was going to say as long as she's not in pain it should be fine but after reading the other responses, I say better safe than sorry.

• jaycam
    by jaycam
    September 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Don't let her. I broke my left arm in middle school and even though I wright with my right hand I still used my left to hold my papers down. with how I broke my arm and where I was put in a sling that want around my arm right above my elbow it wraped around my waist and my hand so i couldn't move it it and it was stuck in front of me. I would sit on my feet in class so I could put it on the desk and hold the paper down and got in trouble with the doctor when he found out so I would ask her doctor first. Ask the school if there is anyone that can help her to wright thats what my mom had to do with me.

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM

What did the ortho say?  How is she doing?

• diane5583
    September 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM

She is doing good... She narrowly missed surgery... 2 breaks, one horizontal thru the bone and one vertical within the bone, joint effusion, and a little bit of displacement but not much.  Dr was suppose to confer with Sr Dr on Friday and if I did not here back from her than no surgery.  She got a full arm cast.  She is suppose to be in a sling when she is not sleeping but is allowed to write with her right hand if she wants to.  She goes backin 3 weeks and gets her cast removed and re x-rayed.. then we go from there.

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 29, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Glad to hear no surgery!  That is great.  I hope it heals up quickly for her!

Quoting diane5583:

She is doing good... She narrowly missed surgery... 2 breaks, one horizontal thru the bone and one vertical within the bone, joint effusion, and a little bit of displacement but not much.  Dr was suppose to confer with Sr Dr on Friday and if I did not here back from her than no surgery.  She got a full arm cast.  She is suppose to be in a sling when she is not sleeping but is allowed to write with her right hand if she wants to.  She goes backin 3 weeks and gets her cast removed and re x-rayed.. then we go from there.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts