Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
irvinehiker
What do you use for grammar??
September 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I am looking for suggestions for my 4th and 6th grader.  I am looking at some workbook options and also considering "A Journey Through Grammar."

What does everyone use?

Replies

• Knightquester
    September 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Growing with Grammar, but I will need to find something different soon since it only goes up to 8th grade.  Still it's a good grammar to use.

http://growingwithgrammar.com/1gwgProduct_Page.html <-- Growing with Grammar

http://growingwithgrammar.com/ <-- and all their other products (the others I don't use, but I've known many that love the entire program).

• AutymsMommy
    September 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Hake is solid, traditional, and rigorous.

Peace Hill Press' "First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind" series is fantastic for the auditory learner - and very rigorous.

I'm also a fan of Seton's "English for Young Catholics" series... their books are modeled after the old (circa 1950's) Voyages in English. It's Catholic though - I don't know if that would bother you. It's also in worktext format (write in the book) and very affordable.

• Amyzclan4
    September 24, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    Easy Grammar is what I've been using for a few years now. It's very, well, easy to teach! Hence the name Easy Grammar, haha!
  • sha_lyn68
    September 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Easy Grammar: http://easygrammar.com/

• Silverkitty
    September 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Winston Grammar for my hands on daughter who sees things better when she can touch them.

Winston Grammar

• Jinx-Troublex3
    September 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM

We like Easy Grammar too )

• paganbaby
    September 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM

We're trying Sentenceplay.co.uk and Grammar Gorillas.

• KrissyKC
    September 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM

We are so busy with our other subjects that doing a lot for English/grammar is too much.

We settled on a very old fashioned/ analytical approach to English when we started using Rod & Staff a few years back.   It worked, so we stuck with it.   However, we shorten lessons... do half the work...  make posters out of review questions (to help us remember the key points)...     Do a lot of the work "at the board"...    The kids groan when we get it out sometimes, but it's not difficult.   We usually breeze through it and move onto the interesting subjects.

However, a friend of mine had her child write the answers out in complete sentences and do every problem.    Her daughter found it really gruelling.

• Leissaintexas
    September 25, 2013 at 9:56 AM

*confession time* I've never used a grammar curriculum. When they were little we read Grammar Tales, a series of short little stories that made the parts of speech "characters" in the story. Other than that, I've never used anything for grammar. Just using proper English in speech and writing, and showing examples of bad grammar has been enough for us. To me, that's like a curriculum for tying shoes. Its just a skill you learn through constant exposure.

• irvinehiker
    September 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I agree with this.  We have used an unschooling approach for the last five years.  I recently did a placement test with each of my kids and they tested right on par for their grade level.  However they are begging for "real school".  They WANT workbooks and textbooks and I am happy to oblige LOL!

Quoting Leissaintexas:

*confession time* I've never used a grammar curriculum. When they were little we read Grammar Tales, a series of short little stories that made the parts of speech "characters" in the story. Other than that, I've never used anything for grammar. Just using proper English in speech and writing, and showing examples of bad grammar has been enough for us. To me, that's like a curriculum for tying shoes. Its just a skill you learn through constant exposure.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts