Homeschooling Moms

Mweddle
homeschooling in Oklahoma. I'm new to this
by Mweddle
September 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Ok so my children are all in public school.  My daughter has severe ADHD and we do not want to medicate her (we tried some different meds and they all made her zombie like...) The teacher sends home notes a lot.  Anyway, it is very difficult for her to learn, especially in such a social setting so I am considering homeschooling her.  In fact I'm about 99.9 percent sure it will happen in 1st grade.

I might wait until she gets into first grade and just start there or I may pull her out this school year.   

Do you live in Oklahoma?  What are the steps I need to take to begin our homeschooling journey? I mean do I have to go somewhere or fill out paperwork or do I just take her home from school and never take her back.  lol.  I do not know what I am doing as far as this part goes! 

Replies

• Bluecalm
    September 24, 2013 at 8:13 PM

There is a post up on top of all the state's regulations. I think I've heard Ok is easy to homeschool in, but I don't know.

I would consider pulling her out of public school now in Kindergarten especially if she shows any signs of stress. I left my son in the whole year and he ended up with a stutter and constantly gnawed at his lower lip until it was red and raw. He also learned to be a helpless learner and just say the work was too hard to get out of it. I had to undo all that before he could start enjoying learning.

• MommaMeemee
    September 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I agree.  Check the laws for your state and go ahead and pull her.  My DD6 went to school through all of K and I'm having to start from scratch teaching her to read. It's been a little challenging, but now that we're doing it in a way that she understands she's picking it up really quickly.  I just wish we would have been able to do this last year and avoid the problems all together. 

What part of OK are you in? I'm in SW MO, just about as close to OK as you can get lol

Quoting Bluecalm:

There is a post up on top of all the state's regulations. I think I've heard Ok is easy to homeschool in, but I don't know.

I would consider pulling her out of public school now in Kindergarten especially if she shows any signs of stress. I left my son in the whole year and he ended up with a stutter and constantly gnawed at his lower lip until it was red and raw. He also learned to be a helpless learner and just say the work was too hard to get out of it. I had to undo all that before he could start enjoying learning.

• paganbaby
    September 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I would pull her out now if she showing signs of distress. I waited until ds was half way through first before I brought him home. It's a mistake I regret :-(

• LilrockerMama
    September 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    There's a website that I can't remember the name of, it had a paper that stated I was pulling so and so out and according to Oklahoma law whatever whatever and all that and I gave it to the principal and never took him back. I started this January and there's really no laws regulating it here. You have to notify them though if they've already started
  • LilrockerMama
    September 25, 2013 at 2:47 AM
    http://www.ochec.com/Categories.aspx?Category=1383a108-60c6-4586-a106-fa30b1d83421
  • gummibear
    September 25, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I live in OK and you don't have to do anything. You go to the school and withdraw her and say you are going to homeschool. We are the only state that it is in our constitution to homeschool. You do not have to report to no-one. I would say keep some kind of record just incase. You do have to have 180 days but I just do it year round and keep lots of their work. http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=OK

• romacox
    by romacox
    September 25, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Like others have said, the first step is to check the laws for your state:  Oklahoma State Laws

After that this article is full of information.  You will want to bookmark it because it is from k through 12.

How To Home School

• Mweddle
    by Mweddle
    September 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I live in Norman!  (Go OU!!!)  ;) I'm definitely worried.  I mentioned something about going to half day K and the teacher was really against it even though they offer it.  I thought that that way she could still see her friends and I could teach her stuff in the last half of the day but I guess thats not going to happen.

Quoting MommaMeemee:

I agree.  Check the laws for your state and go ahead and pull her.  My DD6 went to school through all of K and I'm having to start from scratch teaching her to read. It's been a little challenging, but now that we're doing it in a way that she understands she's picking it up really quickly.  I just wish we would have been able to do this last year and avoid the problems all together. 

What part of OK are you in? I'm in SW MO, just about as close to OK as you can get lol

Quoting Bluecalm:

• Mweddle
    by Mweddle
    September 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Thanks!  Them as in just the school, right? Thanks for the link too! I'm going to go ahead and print that now.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

There's a website that I can't remember the name of, it had a paper that stated I was pulling so and so out and according to Oklahoma law whatever whatever and all that and I gave it to the principal and never took him back. I started this January and there's really no laws regulating it here. You have to notify them though if they've already started

• LuvmyAiden
    September 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I'm wanting to start homeschool next year and this was really helpful info. Thank you!

Quoting romacox:

Like others have said, the first step is to check the laws for your state:  Oklahoma State Laws

After that this article is full of information.  You will want to bookmark it because it is from k through 12.

How To Home School

Homeschooling Moms