Homeschooling Moms

Decemberlov
New and have a few questions - please help.
September 24, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I am recently considering homeschooling my 10 yr old daughter. She is having a very rough time keeping up in school. She's in 5th grade currently but i'm actually questioning if she really even passed 4th. With the grades that came home last yr I really don't see how it's possible. But, they say she did.

My dd has tourettes and is also being evaluated for ADD. I feel like she needs more one on one than the school can provide and I also know that she struggles with reading comprehension. She is a very hands on learner and does much better when touching and seeing rather than reading.

So my questions are:

If I pull her out now can I just have her take it easy for a bit and ease into her. Give her time to "unschool" . I'm thinking things like cooking would be a nice start  - using fractions, doubling recipes (multiplying fractions). Or do I have to get her on a strict schedule and curriclum right away?

I'm in NJ and from what I see there really aren't too many strict curriculum guidelines.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM

yes your idea to deschool is great! yes cooking etc is great also!! you will be able to see how she learns, have fun together. no you dont need a strict schedule or curriculum.

• JerrysMom2011
    September 24, 2013 at 4:56 PM

i agree, deschool is a good idea, and cooking is a fantastic way to not only learn fractions etc but help her feel independant which is necessary for growth and devleopment. No you dont need a strict anything, just do what feels natural, make it fun, she will enjoy learning that much more. 

Quoting oredeb:

yes your idea to deschool is great! yes cooking etc is great also!! you will be able to see how she learns, have fun together. no you dont need a strict schedule or curriculum.

• Decemberlov
    September 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Thank you!! I'll definitely be reading through the link. This whole thing seems so scary and exciting to me!! I feel like it's almost now or never. The path she's on now seems that they will have her in a special ed. class in no time - I really don't want that to damage her self esteem. She's so creative and artistic and can really think outside of the box - she just doesn't do well with testing and written work. Unfortunately schools don't grade you on you ability to be creative and think outside the box :(

Quoting oredeb:

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM

crystal, yes at first it is scary as time goes by it gets better and better, and i think your gona do a good job, taking her out was such a good idea. i can see her growing through homeschooling, with you as her guide.

Quoting Decemberlov:

Thank you!! I'll definitely be reading through the link. This whole thing seems so scary and exciting to me!! I feel like it's almost now or never. The path she's on now seems that they will have her in a special ed. class in no time - I really don't want that to damage her self esteem. She's so creative and artistic and can really think outside of the box - she just doesn't do well with testing and written work. Unfortunately schools don't grade you on you ability to be creative and think outside the box :(

Quoting oredeb:

• bluerooffarm
    September 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I agree with deschooling!  And cooking sounds like a great project to fill your days.  It gives plenty of time for you to talk about what she likes and doesn't like about school, how she would like to see your school take shape, and to determine her learning style and path!  Such an exciting time!  Congratulations!

• paganbaby
    September 24, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Completely agree with this!

Quoting oredeb:

• Decemberlov
    September 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    thank you for the responses. this will be a life change for both of us. I will be leaving my full time job and working part time. with frugal living dh and I believe we can make it work. im thinking just 3 to 4 hrs a day I can give her more than she will get in a full day at school. is this unrealistic?

we already cook all meals from scratch, make many of our own products, have a garden etc. we will be cutting cable and dropping our smart phones.

dds grandmother speaks fluent french and has offered to teach dd. I want to use all of my resources to better her life and enhance her education.

im trying to disregard the fear of failure. im guessing this is a big reason why many more dont choose to take the step, for fear they will not be good teachers.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM

You have the right idea & it looks like you got a great link to tell you all about deschooling.

• PurpleCupcake
    September 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

3 hours is fine!

By the way..cooking is both Home Economics and Science.

Growing plants is Botany. So you are already homeschooling!

Quoting Decemberlov:

thank you for the responses. this will be a life change for both of us. I will be leaving my full time job and working part time. with frugal living dh and I believe we can make it work. im thinking just 3 to 4 hrs a day I can give her more than she will get in a full day at school. is this unrealistic?

we already cook all meals from scratch, make many of our own products, have a garden etc. we billboard is fine  be cutting cable and dropping our smart phones.

dds grandmother speaks fluent french and has offered to teach dd. I want to use all of my resources to better her life and enhance her education.

im trying to disregard the fear of failure. im guessing this is a big reason why many more dont choose to take the step, for fear they will not be good teachers.

• romacox
    by romacox
    September 24, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I am a home school workshop leader, and put together a free  web page to answer questions like yours:

How To Home School

Whole Brain Teaching is excellent for hands on learners....We learn what we experience....So cooking is an excellent idea. 

Is she having trouble with reading?

Homeschooling Moms