Homeschooling Moms

FamilyBears
New here
September 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Hello my name is crystal I am 36 years old. I am happy married for 13 years and we have 7 kids together. I have always wanted to homeschool my kids. I am going to start homeschool my preschool and 21/2 years old. is there any thing I can do with my 4 and 2 year old ? like I said I am new at this.

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM

welcome crystal!!  yes theres stuff to do with the kids! have fun with them, play with them, read to them, point out colors to them, do arts and crafts with them, teach them songs, verses, poems, dance with them, count with them using objects found around the home or outside, search for bugs with them, cook with them, have fun! they learn so much just being with you doing everyday things around the home, you can practise letters  with a stick in the dirt, count bugs or rocks, play games with them

• bluerooffarm
    September 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Debbie has some great ideas there!  We love to play rhyming games and sing rhyming songs.  We find letters on road signs as we drive around.

Oh and talk, talk, talk to them.  Mine learned so much when we just kept up a running conversation everywhere we went.  Name the veggies you put in the cart, tell the colors and shapes of the produce. 

Answer the millions of questions!!  I know it gets overwhelming and it sometimes seems like they aren't listening, but it surprised me how much they heard while they were playing other things.  They are keeping an ear on you!

Oh and cook with them!!!  My boys love to cook!  We bought the cookbook "C is for Cooking" and it has steps listed for the kids to do.  They love having a stake in the food prep!

Oh have fun!  It's such an adventure!!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Welcome to the group! With the little kids play is the key, if you can make it fun & engaging they can learn anything!

• romacox
    by romacox
    September 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Start with your State Laws.  Here is a free web page to help   How To Home School

• paganbaby
    September 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Hi there! I agree that play is the way. I didn't really do anything structured with my kids when they were that age.

How old are your kids?

• FamilyBears
    September 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM

My kids are 41/2 and 21/2 years old

• AutymsMommy
    September 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Since everyone has already given you excellent advice, I'll come in to say that I agree with them - but I would also add some formal curriculum for the 4 year old.

Phonics

Math

Handwriting

And maybe Five in a Row or Picture Book Activities as enrichment.

• KrissyKC
    September 26, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Personally?  If I were you...   I would do two things..

1.  Know my state laws.. yeah, at 4 and 2, they aren't required by law to do anything.   However, if you want to teach older kids or when they get older... you will need to know what the state asks for.

2.  I wouldn't start just to start.   I would seriously read a few good books about homeschooling STYLES.   Not learning styles, but actual styles of how you actually want to teach.   ((Unschooling, Charlotte Mason, etc..)

3.  Until I decided, I'd just play games with them.. introducing them to their letters, numbers, patterns, shapes, colors, and exploring their world through field trips and fun!!!

Homeschooling Moms