Homeschooling Moms

Knightquester
The Joys of Homeschooling
September 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM

So my eldest started getting text messages on the kids phone (my kids share and it's also our house phone) from her public schooled friend that is home from school sick.  Well my eldest is sick too so while eating breakfast they gabbed about how sick they were and her friend basically insinuated that they could talk all day via texting.

I took the phone away after breakfast and after what seemed like the hundredth text from this kid I finally responded with, "This is Cathryns mom and just because she is home sick doesn't mean she can't do school, the joys of homeschooling.  She will get the phone back when her school work is done."  This friend of my daughters is a great kid but has made comments in the past about how easy my kids have it when it comes to schooling.  I kind of get the feeling from the way this kid talks that she thinks it's the glamorous life of school where you don't have very much work.  Hopefully this gave her some insight in to the fact that even homeschoolers have moments where they don't get a break.

Have you had to send such a message to your children's public schooled friends/family?

Replies

• No_Difference
    September 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I was thinking about putting up a sign too. I've been worried about the wind picking up again and blowing it away, so I've been lazy about doing it lol. I probably won't let that be much of an excuse for much longer tho...they're really starting to get annoying.

Quoting Knightquester:

Lol, I've had to snap at the local neighborhood kids before too.  Finally I started hanging a sign on my door during public school holidays and breaks when the neighborhood kids want to play with mine that basically states we're doing school and to not disturb.  So far they've been respectful when that signs hanging out there to not mess with our door/doorbell.

Quoting No_Difference:

O yes.... The neighbor's daughter seems to think we do nothing but art projects all day... It may be because when we watched her last year after she was done w/ school, we finished our day with art projects (so that she wasn't disrupting a core subject). This year now, theres been a few times we've done a core subject while she's been around and she'll quick try to do some of it, or rush my daughter while I'm doing dishes or not staring at the two of them even tho they KNOW she's not allowed in the "school nook" while Jamie is doing school work :/.  She keeps begging her mom to homeschool, but I honestly think its because she firmly believes we do nothing all day...
    There are two other neighborhood kids as well that when they have off of school come and ring the door bell every five minutes to ask if the kids can play, even though I tell them, "No, we're doing school work right now." One day it got to the point where I had to tell them after ignoring the door bell as best we could (which was hard with the dog barking himself into a frenzy...) "If you ring the door bell one more time, the kids will not be playing because they've been so distracted from your constant disruptions, and they'll have to do more school work tomorrow (which was a weekend). I don't think they'll like you very much after that, do you?" ...my cranky side showed that day...

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    The neighbor boy can get a little tiresome. I have to watch Missie's phone now that her homeschool friends text at any spare minute.

Homeschooling Moms