Homeschooling Moms

oredeb
What phonics games do you use for your kids?
by oredeb
September 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM

what phonics games do  you use for your kids?

Replies

• MommaMeemee
    September 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM

We're currently working on word families with my 1st grader. She really struggled with PS teaching sight words, so I'm going back to basics to strengthen her skills. I have been printing off file folder games for her, because she doesn't feel like they are work...I love it when they have fun learning! :D  Anywho, I found this really cute one on the measured mom for free. We printed it out and all the kids have been playing with it.

This is for the short a families:

www.themeasuredmom.com/free-word-family-file-folder-game-short-a/

• coala
    by coala
    September 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM

We haven't played any phonics games....I wouldn't even know where to begin.  My children are odd and actually pull out flash cards to play with.  We have them for just about everthing...flags around the world, presidents, space, math, insects...they learn random stuff when they do this.

• bluerooffarm
    September 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

My boys like to sort things and match things.  So we play memory games with word families on the cards.  We play word sort games.  We play rhyming games in the car.....they LOVE to sing "Down by the Bay" and put in their own rhymes (Octopus dancing with a Platypus is one of their favorites)

We play alliteration games like how many MMMMM words can we name till we get to church.

• MommaMeemee
    September 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM

So far we like Progressive Phonics, I've been trying to stick to free curriculums and this one fits the bill. Forgot about it when I replied earlier, didn't remember until we hit that lesson for today and DD and I were reading her book. She loves the first story in the short a book about a cat and some Yellow Jell-O. :D

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM

heres something that helps some of the kids with phonics

Click here for your mats!

Here are some mats to run off and laminate. I use these for word work in guided reading and the children practice writing the first, middle, and last sound. Then we blend all our sounds together to unlock a word. The arrow is a visual to help them understand the sequence of the sounds and the idea of "sliding" them together!
    This can also be used for independent work and you might have a baggie of pictures and a recording sheet for each student. Are you getting tired of cvc work... Some of my students really struggle with blending.

• romacox
    by romacox
    September 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM

We learn what we experience, so I use lots of games.  I use Ring Around The Phonics.  for language arts, but have even used it to make math workbooks more fun. 

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

another game we used is rummy phonics, wish i could find this again!

Homeschooling Moms