Homeschooling Moms

KrissyKC
He takes his work too-oo seriously.
September 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Today, the older kids wanted to do Draw Write Now with their sister.   She already did lesson one, but they wanted to do it as well, so I ended up at the table with JUST the 11 and 9 yr olds drawing chickens.

They loved it.    I stepped away, and came back to my son (the 9 yr old) grinning proudly at a very serious drawing involving several chickens and chicks.   He had included a chicken coop that actually was fairly proportionate and had a good "perspective" on it's angles and such.   He drew the grass and colored it well.   He even included on chicken a little fatter than another and drew her actually in the process of laying an egg.  LOL!

Anyway, my daughter was bothered by her chickens.  (she struggles with hand eye coordination a little and her handwriting is poor, too)...   So to keep her from being overly bothered by the differences, I started talking to her about different talents and drew a chicken (changing it to a rooster) and scribbling bright colors on the rooster and drawing a guitar in his hands.   The kids went nuts talking about my rocking rooster, and soon they started making their chickens into rocking roosters and band members.

However, my son, accidentally drew his "rocking" rooster on his very serious picture.    All of a sudden he yells out in frustration, "OH MAN!!!!  I ruined my picture!"   

He was getting so upset, but I thought it looked pretty cool and I assured him that every barnyard deserved a rocking rooster to entertain the hens...  He's just too serious for his own good sometimes.

ugh... LOL!   Crazy kids.

Replies

• debramommyof4
    September 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM

My kids do that sometimes.  I have to explain it is art and art is ment to be unique and imperfect and that it is the imperfect stuff that makes the pictures wonderful and amazing.

I bet his picture was awesome.  You should post a pic.

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 24, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    My Cole is like that.
  • Leissaintexas
    September 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    mine used to get frustrated when their pictures didn't turn out right (since no one here is artistic at all!) I'd just show them a Picasso or Salvador Dali and tell them it doesn't have to be normal!
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM

sounds like you all had a good time!

i had one like that also, but as he got older he lightened up

• 1CynfulDlite
    September 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Man there's a little rebel in the seriousness some where, he's going to make an appearance every now and then. 

• swishyskirt
    September 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM

: ) I'm due on Thanksgiving day with our first.  Stories like this one fill me up with sweet anticipation for these times ahead.  You sound very happy with your kiddos!  God bless~

• No_Difference
    September 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM

My 4 year old is that way...heaven forbid that something is not exactly perfect in his perspective... And yet on other things that needs work (like his #2s...granted he's 4...theres time lol) he could care less how it looks.

• jwhit8791
    September 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM

My little guy is like that.....the 6yo i mean.  He freaks out about flashcards with math.  If he can't get it right away, he will actually start to hit his head and say to himself...think, think think.

You would think the way he acts we are threatening him or something.  LOL  I only ask that he does his best for me.  I am hoping he will lighten up a little

Homeschooling Moms