Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
OK, I need some brain storming or suggestions so come on it here!
by mem82
September 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I want to make Cole (8, 3rd grade) and Missie (12, 7th grade) something like a morning warm up binder or folder. It's more for Cole, really. I want something to help get them going and also cover a few random things (like math facts, sight words, etc) that will help transition the morning PLUS keep a daily list of what they need to get done so they can see what's going on. So think of this as a student planner with extras. We do a small morning board but that's more for my younger son who is four.

What would you suggest as far as set up? Or what to put in it? I'm open to any suggestions. It's a rainy day and I'm just doing a little homeschool planning and brainstorming. 8)

Replies

• kirbymom
    September 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    You could have some extra activity sheets that have some math problems with some colored pictures on it so that it feels more like a fun game than an activity work sheet. Maybe even have Cole pick out the particular sheets he would like to do.(?)
  • mem82
    by mem82
    September 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM

We are on the same wave length! I just printed out some Fall themed Math sheets of just addition and subtraction. He knows how to do it but his rote memorization needs to get a bit faster. 8) Since we've moved on to other things in Math, I want him to keep practicing on the side.

The only problem with Cole and choices is that he can't make them! LOL I am not against him picking, he would end up making a muck of it. eye rollingHe's slowly growing out of it, thank goodness!

Quoting kirbymom:

You could have some extra activity sheets that have some math problems with some colored pictures on it so that it feels more like a fun game than an activity work sheet. Maybe even have Cole pick out the particular sheets he would like to do.(?)

• kirbymom
    September 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    Yeah, I can empathize with you there! :). Well, maybe you can pick out 2-3 different themed activity sheets then let him pick from those. I even do some with math mazes. My kids love that. Even my older ones. lol

Quoting mem82:

We are on the same wave length! I just printed out some Fall themed Math sheets of just addition and subtraction. He knows how to do it but his rote memorization needs to get a bit faster. 8) Since we've moved on to other things in Math, I want him to keep practicing on the side.

The only problem with Cole and choices is that he can't make them! LOL I am not against him picking, he would end up making a muck of it. eye rollingHe's slowly growing out of it, thank goodness!

Quoting kirbymom:You could have some extra activity sheets that have some math problems with some colored pictures on it so that it feels more like a fun game than an activity work sheet. Maybe even have Cole pick out the particular sheets he would like to do.(?)

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I'm off to search math mazes!

Quoting kirbymom:

Yeah, I can empathize with you there! :). Well, maybe you can pick out 2-3 different themed activity sheets then let him pick from those. I even do some with math mazes. My kids love that. Even my older ones. lol

Quoting mem82:

Quoting kirbymom:You could have some extra activity sheets that have some math problems with some colored pictures on it so that it feels more like a fun game than an activity work sheet. Maybe even have Cole pick out the particular sheets he would like to do.(?)

• 1CynfulDlite
    September 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM

You could set it up like an adult planner of sorts, put in a daily, weekly and monthly calendar, marked out with important dates/events/holidays (if you celebrate), and make those topics for discussion.  Make your lessons themed for the week or the month.   Throw in fun facts about what ever your themes are.  Like stuff about Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving.  Do a mixed treasure hunt.  Tell the kids that in order to get the treasure they have to solve the problems/read the quote in order to get to the next clue!

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM

That's a good plan. I like the idea of them having a *planner*. I think maybe I'll make a clue a day or something for a *treasure or treat* on Friday. That could really work well.

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

You could set it up like an adult planner of sorts, put in a daily, weekly and monthly calendar, marked out with important dates/events/holidays (if you celebrate), and make those topics for discussion.  Make your lessons themed for the week or the month.   Throw in fun facts about what ever your themes are.  Like stuff about Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving.  Do a mixed treasure hunt.  Tell the kids that in order to get the treasure they have to solve the problems/read the quote in order to get to the next clue!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM

what about a math facts tape to listen to in am,  something peppy

a game to get them going

i use mcall crabbs standard testing lessons(not as scary as it sounds!) but its 3 min. tests on comprhension , very short and to the point,

heres something  but might be to young http://tunstalltimes.blogspot.com/2013/07/rise-and-shine-binder.html

some logic puzzles for the binder( in our homeschool we think best in the mornings)

what about the owl mouse game of geography

a worksheet on a new concept they learned at the beginning of the week

each day a different way of memorizing the spelling words (example: mon- write words twice, tues- make words into a story, weds- use words in sentences, thurs- go over words 3 times, fri- review words, something like that)

a times table worksheet that gets timed every morning to see if the kids can better their own times each day(they can take turns timing each other)

• debramommyof4
    September 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I love this idea.  I am stealing it.  My girls have not been getting their work done and since we do not give out candy they could try to figure out the clues and earn a piece of candy on Friday.  That way it is not to much and they will be motivated to get their candy.

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

• coala
    by coala
    September 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM

We tried something similar to the spelling stuff you suggested.  I made word searches that they had to do without the list as well as word scrambles (again no list).  I also had her write them in alphabetic order and then reverse order the next day.  Another suggestion we got was to do rhyming words with the spelling words (my oldest hasn't ever quite gotten the concept of rhyming...so this one didn't work for us).  You can write silly sentences with those spelling words (this one didn't work for us either because she would create one sentence and re-use it for every word on her list.  I'm hoping te be able to try a few more of these with our 2nd grade curriculum.

Math facts...how about giving some problems and then see how many he can do in 10 min...make it a game.  Then keep the sheets to show him how much better he is getting as well as how much faster he is able to do them.

Quoting oredeb:

what about a math facts tape to listen to in am,  something peppy

a game to get them going

i use mcall crabbs standard testing lessons(not as scary as it sounds!) but its 3 min. tests on comprhension , very short and to the point,

heres something  but might be to young http://tunstalltimes.blogspot.com/2013/07/rise-and-shine-binder.html

some logic puzzles for the binder( in our homeschool we think best in the mornings)

what about the owl mouse game of geography

a worksheet on a new concept they learned at the beginning of the week

each day a different way of memorizing the spelling words (example: mon- write words twice, tues- make words into a story, weds- use words in sentences, thurs- go over words 3 times, fri- review words, something like that)

a times table worksheet that gets timed every morning to see if the kids can better their own times each day(they can take turns timing each other)

• romacox
    by romacox
    September 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Work Boxes

Whole Brain Math Activities (not exactly a planner, but a good worm up activities  to start the day)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts