Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
MacMamaof5
Proud Moment!!!!
September 21, 2013 at 7:07 AM

We started August 1st.  My "freshly" 6 year old read his first book today.  He is one of those hyper, gotta be active while I am learning kind of kids so I thought it would take longer....but he's doing it.  He says he wants to wait until he's grown up a little more before we tell daddy though.  I think he's a bit of a perfectionist, too.

Share your proud moment with us!happy

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    September 21, 2013 at 7:54 AM

That is so awesome!

My 4 yo is writing his name.  He's so cool.  :)

• SMTCMMoore
    September 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    Hooray! I have a "gotta be active" while learning and it's causing issues. But I can't wait for such a praise!
  • jwhit8791
    September 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I have watched many times when my 6yo schools my 4yo.  Lately it is in math......like Hey Ben, do you know what 9+4 is?  Too cool to see.

If you don't mind me asking.....what type of book was it?  I am working on my 6yo to start trying to read by himself a little but he gets frustrated if there are any words on the page that he doesn't know or can't figure out.  Wondering what some good books to start him off on might be.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    September 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM

We've been borrowing Brand New Readers from our library, and my guys love them.  The words and pictures go together well, so their confidence/success is pretty high.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=brand%20new%20readers&sprefix=brand+new+re%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abrand%20new%20readers

Quoting jwhit8791:

I have watched many times when my 6yo schools my 4yo.  Lately it is in math......like Hey Ben, do you know what 9+4 is?  Too cool to see.

If you don't mind me asking.....what type of book was it?  I am working on my 6yo to start trying to read by himself a little but he gets frustrated if there are any words on the page that he doesn't know or can't figure out.  Wondering what some good books to start him off on might be.

• No_Difference
    September 21, 2013 at 8:58 AM

My 4 year old came up to me after just learning how to segment sounds in words to be able to spell them, and goes, "Mommy, DOG is D-O-G! I sounded it out all by myself!" He then proceeded to do a few more words, where he also had to sound them out to get the right letter.  (He also has to be active while learning so each time he said a letter as he was spelling, he was shaking his bottom. I was trying so hard to hold back laughing so I wouldn't distract him)

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM

That is great!  LOL @ growing up before telling daddy!

• MotoStar
    September 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Way to go, Mama!

Watching them learn and thrive is always amazing!

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM

woohoo

• kirbymom
    September 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    That is so super awesome!
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM

That is great!

My proud moment of the week is that my 10y/o DD who hates to type has been IMing her cousin & begging to know when people are online so she can IM with others too! This is a big deal because she dose not use text language or any of the short cuts so she is typing full words & sentences with punctuation.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN