Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
paganbaby
I plan on giving my daughter a REAL high school experience.
September 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I was having a conversation with one of the moms at school while I was waiting to pick up 6yo dd. I was telling her that I had recently pulled 13yo dd out of school and was homeschooling her. What followed was one of the funniest conversations I've had in a while,lol.

Lady: Are you homeschooling her through high school?

Me: More than likely, yeah.

Lady: But she'll miss out on so much! She won't have the high school experiance!

Me: Oh don't worry about that. I have it all planned out. I'm going to shove her in the hallway, knock her books out of her hands, steal her lunch money and call her names. *All of this was said in a very serious voice*

Lady *Jaw drop*

Me: *Laughing* I'm just messin with you. She'll be fine. And quite honestly there are plenty of high school experiances I don't want her having.

Replies

• paganbaby
    September 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

One of the things that does give me pause is prom. I missed my prom, so did my sister and mom. That's one thing I really did want her to experiance :-(

• KickButtMama
    September 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Our local Homeschool group has a formal dance for teens, so they will still get the experience.

• armygirl16
    September 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Have you looked into co-ops? A lot of co-ops have their own prom. I plan on HSing through HS too :)
  • paganbaby
    September 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

That's really neat!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Our local Homeschool group has a formal dance for teens, so they will still get the experience.

• paganbaby
    September 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM

The only one that's close enough just caters to elementary :-/

Good luck to us both,LOL

Quoting armygirl16:

Have you looked into co-ops? A lot of co-ops have their own prom. I plan on HSing through HS too :)

• TJandKarasMom
    September 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Maybe you could start a small high school homeschool group, or teen group.  Then you could coordinate a prom.  I planned the father/daughter ball at our elementary school all 4 years DD was there, so I this is right up my ally ;)  but it could be so fun!  And I bet all the teens around would appreciate it!

Prom was one thing that made me stop and question it too.  I missed mine, and don't care so much now.  DH went to one and he says it's not even worth the money and effort.  I still hope my kids can do a dance or something though.  The thing about hsers is that it doesn't have to cost hundreds of dollars for them to have a good time!

I LOVE your remarks to the lady, I'm storing that in the back of my mind.

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

LMAO, that is awesome!  I love that and will have to remember it.  I don't know what I am doing about Highschool yet, so I am not going to worry about it right now.  I went to Prom, left way early and went and hung out with friends.  It wasn't worth it to me.

• ablackdolphin
    September 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I love your comebacks!! You make me smile and make me happy! Thanks for standing up for the rest of us!!!!

• collinsmommy0
    September 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    Nice. I hated high school - I wish k12 or other online schools were an option back then!
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I here the missing prom excuse all the time! You know All you have to do is know someone that goes to the locale high school & have them invite her to go! There is a homeschool prom every year here & it gets bigger & bigger each year they hold it.

By the way i know so many people that did go to their prom & it was one of the worst nights of their lives so not everyone sees that night as a fond memory.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN