Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
lotof2
Five in a row (or before FIAR) ... thinking about switching!
by lotof2
September 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I have a little guy who turned 4 this past June, and we decided in August NOT to send him to the private preschool we had him enrolled in.  So I kind of felt like I needed to make some decisions quick, and I ordered some formal learning - and now that we are a few weeks in, I feel like I'm not meeting his needs at all and we're not starting out right:(  We were working on explode the code books, reading lessons, and some simple math ... we definitely worked on fun arts/crafts and free play - but I feel like I want to put all of our lesson books on hold for a year or two and just work on him loving learning!  I just started looking into five in a row, and from what I can see, it looks like it's kind of a "unit study" on one book per week and you do fun activities that just kind of correlate to the book...?  I would LOVE and so APPRECIATE any input or encouragement.  I feel like I'm going to ruin him if I don't change things up soon.  At first he loved the "school" part of our day, and now he hides books so he doesn't have to do them.  It's ok, you can judge me... I'm new to this and I'm willing to change to what works better for us :)  Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rokinmommie22
    September 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM

i home school my 7yr old boy and my 3 yr old daughter and my 5 yr old special needs boy. i don't know about five in a row, we use a mix of boys from timberdoodle and i just make sure were covering what he needs to know. what i have found is that at that age it's really important to make it fun, learning to read and count and add is soo important, don't worry about the other stuff yet build a strong foundation if they can read and understand what they read, and learn how fun it is to read books and learn, and they have a good solid foundation on math. than they can learn anything, and love it in the process, teaching self learning is so important. then they will seek knowledge for there whole life and strive to know. don't worry over time in a school year, worry on if they understand it. the best part of homeschooling (in my opinion) is watching them grow to love learning. good luck on your start i hope it's an amazing adventure :)

• ablackdolphin
    September 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I love handwriting without tears, it's so fun!!  DD loves it.  Lots of fun songs and activities to do!  Very easy to follow.

I also love Rightstart Math, again very fun for little ones.

My DD is 4 next week and we've been doing both for about a month now.

What about some DVDs like preschool prep, magic school bus, read along books etc check your library.

• kirbymom
    September 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Are you kidding me!???!!
    Judge you?!!??? Never!!!!!!!!
    At this age, you really don't need a formal curriculum. You can give him all that he needs yourself. If you want him to learn to love learning,,then play with him and read to him and do activities with him. Your excitement will excite him and he will show you what he likes and is interested in. Utilize the library and the Internet as well as your imaginations. Find out how he likes to learn. Does he like to learn by visuals or by hands on or maybe even a combination of both? Helping him to learn the way his brain is wired is going to be a big help. It will also help you while you learn right alongside him too. That's one if the perks of homeschooling. You get to experience these things together. :).
  • Bleacheddecay
    September 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I love the idea of FIAR if you can get the books free at the library. I haven't used it. I would have had I known about it and homeschooled early on. Go for it!

• amanda.lyn
    September 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    Im doing before five in a row with a three year old. He had no interest in school work style assignments, but loves Story time and arts so it works great for us!
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM

lotof if it doenst work change it!!! no judgment from us! we are always changing something! one of the plus of homeschooling we dont have to be stuck with something that doenst work!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts