Homeschooling Moms

mem82
Do you make your own Halloween costumes?
by mem82
September 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

We piece things together from store bought, thrift store finds, and whatever mommy can sew.

Replies

• debramommyof4
    September 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM

This is our first year we are trying it.  My 7 year old wants to be a zombie princess and my 6 year old wants to be American Beauty (mostly just any super hero female).  My 4 year old wants to be iron man again.  If his costume from last year fits we are going to get him a new mask, if not I may see if he wants to be a zombie too.  My baby wants to be Minnie Mouse so we may buy her costume.

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I did last year because DS wanted to be a zombie and that was easy.  This year he say a costume he really wants when we were getting more Halloween decorations, so I am going to get it for him. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM

We have in the past but I don't know if we will this year or not. My DD wants to be a Monster High character & we found the costume at Wal-Mart for under $25 so I went ahead & bought it. My son can't decide if he wantsto be a swamp monster or The Phantom of the Opera.

• TidewaterClan
    September 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I usually sew their costumes.  They get excited to help me make them.

• No_Difference
    September 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I try to, but every time I start making a costume my mom mails the kids one, and then there is no longer a point for me to even try. It ticks me off really... This year, I think we're just going store bought... Little Guy wants to be Iron Man. We're getting green paint to paint Hubby green so he can be the Hulk. I'm apparently Black Widow, and Jamie Bamie wants to be a zombie lol...just need paint again...

• SusanTheWriter
    September 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Since they were born it's been a family challenge to put together a costume for less than $15 each. Since they've gotten bigger and had bigger ideas, we've had to raise our budget to $25. We collect bits and bobs all year long to go into our Halloween costume boxes.

I highly recommend hitting one of those cheesy pop-up Halloween shops the day after Halloween. They're gone within a week, but they mark a lot of stuff down dramatically. Which is good because they're crazy expensive if you try to buy anything there in October.

• StepDucky
    September 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I did last year... He wanted to be a zombie, so we went to the thrift store got a shirt and pants... Cut them up, roll them around in the earth, hit them between rocks. painted his face, put fake blood everywhere and made his hair all crazy. this year he wants to be a vampire... So we will be making his costume again this yr.

• Britty1987
    September 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    This is my 1st attempt! My 7 year old LOVES Link so he wants to be Link again this year. Last years costume is too small so I bought sone yarn and I've started crocheting the tunic. He wants me to make baby girl a Zelda costume in case she comes early :)
  • hipmomto3
    September 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Are we discussing HALLOWEEN among HOMESCHOOLERS?! Isn't that the SCOURGE of the homeschooling world?! LOL just kidding... though around here it does seem you are in the minority if you celebrate Halloween (or anything other than a 'harvest festival' etc - which is about as pagan as you can get, IMO).

We do a mix of store bought and homemade. Some years I've gone all out but really, forty hours of sewing is just not fun for mama, no matter how cute we all look. 

This year my husband wants to dress up as Gru, and it'd make sense for me to be a minion, but I don't like the sexual stereotyping of that. My husband is not a sexist at all but still... it'd be fine for our KIDS you know, but not me. I don't work for him. 

Two years ago DH and I were Frankenstein + Bride. That was fun.

Some years we do a family theme. Toy Story was fun (I was Bo Peep - hoop skirt was the only thing I bought), another year we were Incredibles, that was cute. Scooby Doo year was the kids' favorite - I was Velma. That was a mostly thrift-store purchased year. We did buy a Scooby Doo costume but that was all.

• Molimomma
    September 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM

My son won't wear a costume. Last year I bought one and it has lived in the closet ever since. He prefers to wear his glow in the dark Halloween shirt and pass out candy and that's fine with me! He doesn't like sweets other than m&ms and he flat out hates dressing in any dress up if any kind so it's cool with me to sit on the front porch and just watch the other kids. He's not afraid of any of the costumes he just doesn't want one on!

Homeschooling Moms