Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
SusanTheWriter
My head is spinning
September 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM

This high school stuff is going to drive me crazy!

She wants to return to our local public high school next fall as a senior, so I have to make sure all our ducks are properly aligned to make sure that happens with as few credit hiccups as possible.

MATH:

This year, she's taking a full year of Trig, but she'll finish by Christmas. It sounds impressive, but it's not that hard if you do 2 lessons/day. 1 credit. We're skipping Pre-Calc entirely because it's basically Alg 2 + Trig.

She wants to take both years of AP Calc, but if we wait until next fall to start, she'll only have time to take one year.

So we'll start AP Calc A/B in January of this year and finish up in time for the test in May. Then we'll start AP Calc B/C and finish it up through the summer. Since the test is only given in May, we'll end up needing to review for a few weeks before the test, but the hard work will be done.

Basically, 3 full year math credits completed from Fall 2013 through Summer 2014. And this is HER plan, not mine. It also means that she won't need to take any math courses at all her senior year.

SCIENCE:

She's taking Intro to Astronomy at the local college and will be done by Christmas. 1 credit for high school. Plus, it transfers to our state college system, so she'll have 3 college credits in her major/minor when she starts.

We have nothing scheduled for spring. If she takes something, it'll be because it catches her interest, not because it's a box to check off. :)

She wants to take AP Physics as a senior. She'll be done with all the necessary math and with the schedule she's outlined, she's only ever taking one AP course at a time, rather than stacking them.

I talked to the head of guidance at the high school and found that there's no pre-req for taking AP Physics except the math, which we've got.

And I had a conversation with a guidance counselor at Univ of Illinois to ask about what classes would transfer from our local college, as well as whether they preferred college transfer classes or AP classes. They have to make a 4 or 5 on the AP tests to get college credit, but otherwise, they count the same.

Personally, I'd rather take a regular college class than have the whole year hinge on one test, but that's just me.

And just in case anyone's interested, the website TRANSFER.ORG will show you transfer equivalencies by school, which could come in handy.

You know, I write all this stuff down in here so I can get it straight in my head. Thanks for being my sounding board!

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM

great post susan! and neat site

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    *shudders* this stuff scares me!
  • sha_lyn68
    September 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I'm curious as to why she wants to go to high school next year when she is already taking a course/courses at a local college. Honestly, that seems like a step backwards to me. 

• SusanTheWriter
    September 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM

For her, I think it's about facing her fears. She left high school in 9th grade under less than auspicious circumstances and I fully understand that she feels it's necessary to re-integrate as a personal victory. I think the important thing is that she KNOWS she can do it on her own, and she's making an informed and mature choice to finish her schooling this way.

• sha_lyn68
    September 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

For her, I think it's about facing her fears. She left high school in 9th grade under less than auspicious circumstances and I fully understand that she feels it's necessary to re-integrate as a personal victory. I think the important thing is that she KNOWS she can do it on her own, and she's making an informed and mature choice to finish her schooling this way.

That makes sense

• kirbymom
    September 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM
    Yikes, Susan! You show me how I need to bone up!
    I love it when you post for your daughter. Helps me to balance my own high schoolers! Gives me more ideas to utilize. You are my sounding board. :)
    Thanks!
  • coala
    by coala
    September 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Wow!!!  She sounds like one determined kid.  I hope it all goes as she has planned.  I also hope that her Senior year is everything that she wants it to be and more.  It was my best year of HS and I wouldn't have changed a thing (at least not a school).  Good luck keeping up with her.

• tuffymama
    September 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    (Hands on ears and shouting) I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LA LA LA!

Lol. Yeah, I don't want to think about higher maths. It almost killed me when ODS was taking calculus in school. Shouldn't have affected me, right? Pssssht! Tutors. That's what I'm doing with LO when it's his turn.
  • paganbaby
    September 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Right? lol

Quoting mem82:

*shudders* this stuff scares me!

• paganbaby
    September 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Yep. There's no way I can help dd with high school math. Tutors here we come!

Quoting tuffymama:

(Hands on ears and shouting) I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LA LA LA!

Lol. Yeah, I don't want to think about higher maths. It almost killed me when ODS was taking calculus in school. Shouldn't have affected me, right? Pssssht! Tutors. That's what I'm doing with LO when it's his turn.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN