Homeschooling Moms

Connorsmommy13
Things I learned my first week
September 16, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Okay I am no expert far from it actually this is my first year (was my first week) but I learned a few things...might be doing it "wrong" but it worked for my DS (grade 3) in no order

1. Having music playing in the back ground helps

2. I plan the lesson plan but letting him decide what order we do it in works wonders.

3. He is more comfortable on the couch with a tv tray (work station) then on the ground by the coffee table (dont have a dinning room table)

4. Crumpling up the sticky notes that have each subject on  them is theaputic.

5. I have to win the battle of wills.

So that is my first week...starting my second week tommrow...he is SO EXCITED to do the "selfie" (self portate ((spelling??))

Replies

• MommaMeemee
    September 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM

So glad you had such a great start!  We are first yearer's too. I may have to steal a couple of your tips, like the music in the background, and probably the crumpling of sticky notes (have to buy some first) but I can see me doing lesson plans or trying to get my oldest to write and ending up with a giant pile of sticky notes. :D

And it's portrait =D

• Connorsmommy13
    September 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Quoting MommaMeemee:

So glad you had such a great start!  We are first yearer's too. I may have to steal a couple of your tips, like the music in the background, and probably the crumpling of sticky notes (have to buy some first) but I can see me doing lesson plans or trying to get my oldest to write and ending up with a giant pile of sticky notes. :D

And it's portrait =D

Ohh it was not that great of a start...tons of tatrums and tears (both of us) but trying to look on the bright side. Its really hard because my family is all against me doing this and I am a single mom.

How many are you homeschool?

• debramommyof4
    September 16, 2013 at 1:55 AM
    We are on our 3rd year of homeschool with 4. One thing I know is that every year is different and it is kind of like starting over.

My oldest is 7 my youngest 3. This year we have a 2nd/3rd grader (7 year old). A 1st/2nd grader (6 year old). A kindergartner (4 1/2) and a preschooler who is 3.

This year my littlest 2 are really joining in where in the past it was way less.
  • MommaMeemee
    September 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I have 3,  9 yo DS 3rd grade, 8 yo DD1 2nd grade and 6yo DD2 1st grade.  I'm pretty much on my own with it too, DH is supporting it, but not completely sold on the idea and my family is like yours not supportive at all. We haven't even told his side of the family yet.  That ought to be fun :/

• Connorsmommy13
    September 16, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Quoting MommaMeemee:

I have 3,  9 yo DS 3rd grade, 8 yo DD1 2nd grade and 6yo DD2 1st grade.  I'm pretty much on my own with it too, DH is supporting it, but not completely sold on the idea and my family is like yours not supportive at all. We haven't even told his side of the family yet.  That ought to be fun :/

Oh my dads side of the family does not know...they think he is in school.

• bluerooffarm
    September 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I'm so glad he's excited to jump in this week!

• tiredmomfor2
    September 16, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    Sound like you have got it Mama! Oh and you are so right about that age old battle of wills. They win once and you are in for trouble.
    Keep up the good work!
  • 1CynfulDlite
    September 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Yay for finding what seems to be working for both of you!  My son gets excited about the work because he likes to 'play on the computer'.  We are first timers at this as well and he's doing Kindergarten.  We try to break it up and other times we'll do all his lessons on the computer first and break up his writing assignments.  My boy loves his outside time so when he does get a break the first thing he does is hit the yard to play.  We usually turn those in to science lessons about bugs and dirt, leaves, trees, the air, clouds, rain (we live in FL and during hurricane season it rains just about every afternoon).

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM

great post connorsmommy!!!!! im always learning new things also no matter how long ive been doing hs! always something new from the kids or the way we do it!

i started out hsing as a single parent also

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I love the sticky notes idea!  LOL, DS would get a kick out of that.  Sounds like you are on the right track.  Sorry, you don't have any support, that makes it so hard.  I am a single mom as well, but everyone is behind me doing this so I don't have to deal with attitude from them as well as deal with all the HS stuff.  Just hang in there, you guys will get this figured out!

Homeschooling Moms