Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ablackdolphin
What exactly is Language Arts?
September 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM

My state requires recordkeeping on Reading and Language Arts.  I always considered the part of the same thing.

What do you cover under "Language Arts"?

Replies

• Chasing3
    September 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I think it's grammar, spelling, vocabulary and writing

• buckeyetravels
    September 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Well when I was in school it was english, spelling, and reading.  Until I got to 8th grade and then it was just English (reading and writing).

I would consider Language Arts the following:

• Reading
    • Writing
    • Spelling
    • Vocabulary
    • Essays
  • ablackdolphin
    September 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Great, that's what I was thinking but I was thrown for a loop when I saw reading as a separate subject.

• TJandKarasMom
    September 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Writing, spelling, vocab, and grammar. Reading as well, but that is listed separately. 

• Molimomma
    September 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Grammar, writing, spelling, & vocabulary. I would include reading in there too but I guess the state felt the need to explicitly state reading instruction needed to be taught.

• buckeyetravels
    September 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Forgot about grammar.  Oops.  Yeah that would be part of Language Arts as well.  

• 1CynfulDlite
    September 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Any thing and every thing to do with reading and writing starting with the basics in Kindergarten.  I'm on a public school curriculum and they cover basic reading/sight word recognition, letter recognition and writing and knowing parts of a story like plot, setting,characters, beginning, middle, end and they use stories like The Little Red Hen and such so nothing super complicated for Kinder.

• ablackdolphin
    September 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Thanks ladies!!

• AutymsMommy
    September 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I know my dd's school lists literature separately from language arts, but that could be because it's a special needs school. Even at home, though, I generally separated them.

LA for us:

Writing

Spelling

Grammar

Reading comprehension or phonics if necessary

Vocabulary

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    I would combine the 2 because they really do go together.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts