Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
No_Difference
Does this happen with anyone else?
September 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM

My daughter can finish a math worksheet in mere minutes and get the majority of the asnwers correct (she'd get it all right if she would take an extra minute to look it over and check her work because the mistakes are usually pretty obvious...but thats a different issue). When she takes the math test though, it takes HOURS.

We're using Math U See. I don't give her the test unless I know she really understands the lesson. We do the first worksheet in the lesson together one day, and I back off as I see her understanding. Thursdays if I think she's got it, she has to teach the problems on the review worksheet to me, and then Friday she takes the test if she's got it all down. We did it that way all last year and it worked really really well, and there were no issues. This year... I hand her the test booklet and it literally takes HOURS. Usually  1 hr 15 minutes on the first page, and 1 hr 15 minutes on the second page. As soon as she finishes it she does a reading and science test, and occasionally a history test. Those 2-3 tests are on average 3-4 pages not 2 pages, and she can finish ALL of them in less time cummulatively than it does for the one stinking 2 page math test!! I'm going crazy with. She keeps saying shes distracted, but I could have her in a white padded cell with nothing to look at, no music, nothing, and she'd still be "distracted." I've tried taking points off for taking too long ( we did 5 points for every 10 minutes over an hour which I still think was giving way more than enough time), and she could care less. Grades do not motivate her at all. I've tried bribery which didn't work either. I just am at a loss as what to try next to get her finished with it far faster than what she has been.

Replies

• Leissaintexas
    September 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    Well, if you know she's getting the concepts and is not struggling, then why test at all?
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    September 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM

We generally do not do tests here.

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I agree with this.  Why test when you know she understands the materials?  One of the problems with the school system is that not all kids do well on tests and that is how the schools grade the kids.  Some kids freeze up, some do better with oral reports, etc... 

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Well, if you know she's getting the concepts and is not struggling, then why test at all?

• Chasing3
    September 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I've read a lot on this author who talks about intrinsic motivation in learning and he's against grade and tests... he's pretty far out there, but I do find so much of what he says makes sense. I notice this sort of procrastination or "digging in of heels" often when I say something is mandatory or it's going to get graded.

Unfortunately, the author doesn't give any magic tricks to make kids motivated - other than let them have all the choice and find their own motivation. Which, as far as I can tell, would mean all my kids are really motivated to do is play minecraft!

BTW, his name is Alfie Kohn, and you can get the general idea of all his books from articles on his website. Or the library has them.

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    Can you give her a worksheet in the place of a test? Don't tell her she is doing a test. Then, see if she does better. It might be cold feet on her part.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    September 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    I would also add consequences to bad grades. If she went to school, she would get in trouble for flanking a test right? I would not punish her with school work, though.
  • ablackdolphin
    September 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Sounds like she's mastered it and just ready to move on.  She's probably bored with it.  You may not need to actually test the same thing over and over, if you see she understands it then maybe just move on.

• No_Difference
    September 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM

My MIL does our portfolio's for us at the end of the year, and so she continues to do them for us, one of her requirements is to see tests. She's not freezing up on it, she just doesn't want to focus on it or wills herself to be distracted on math alone and nothing else. I have/had major test anxiety where I would literally draw a blank, start panicing, and go into complete melt down. She doesn't show even the slightest bit of anxiousness with them unless they're timed, which normally I don't do at all since she finishes them so quickly...expect for math...  We also call all tests reviews, and by us, are treated that way (just MIL doesn't know that)
    She does get more chores added on for poor grades which has happened a few times, or some of her favorite things taken away.

• No_Difference
    September 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

It's only really happened a few times recently, but she does either get more chores tacked on to her chore list or her favorite toys taken away.

Quoting mem82:

I would also add consequences to bad grades. If she went to school, she would get in trouble for flanking a test right? I would not punish her with school work, though.

• tiredmomfor2
    September 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    My son does well with math, but the second you tell him it is a test it looses all him confidence..drags his feet etc.
    Maybe it is the test part that makes her so slow.
    Have you considered letting her listen to music while she works. classical or instrumental. In some cases it has been known to help with focus.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts