Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Karmea
Do you use the word "school" with your kids?
by Karmea
September 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I mean when it's time to sit down and study, do you say it's "time for school?" I'm sorry if that's a dumb question! I'm just trying to slowly prepare my daughter for more directed learning and I feel awkward using the word school, when what we're doing is decidedly not school. I'm setting up a little classroom -- there's another one, there's no class, so it's a whatroom?? -- for her with a table and chair that will be used specifically for "school" type work and I don't know how to explain it to her without using words that don't feel like they fit!

Am I overthinking? I'd love to know what other homeshcool moms do.

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM

wow never thought about your question before, i do use the word school, it doesnt matter to me nowdays, just as long as we are learning. i have a room for schooling in but we do schooling all over the house and outside, so anyhwere we feel like sitting or laying is where you'll find us.

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Never really thought about it.  I don't guess I really say anything.  I say let's get to it, or do you want to start with math?  We have a school "room" but it is more of just a place to keep our supplies.  He tends to school where ever he feels like ploping down at that time. 

• jwhit8791
    September 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I guess that I don't understand why you view what you do as "not school".  I have no problem telling my children it's time for school, because that is what we are doing.  We are learning just like they would if they were in a public school building.

I guess if it makes you uncomfortable, then maybe come up with a phrasing that doesn't make you feel that way.

• TJandKarasMom
    September 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM

My kids went to school up until this year (they just started 5th and 6th grades).  So they know what school is, and they now know what homeschool is.  I usually call it "school work."  Like "you have to finish all your school work first"

We don't have a school room.  We do have an area set aside that is just a bookshelf and a drawer thing where we keep supplies, and we call that the school area.  I guess we just call it school because that's what it is to us even though it's not the typical school.

• debramommyof4
    September 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    I do. We are learning and that is what I think school is for. So that is the word that fits. I have a room also. I call it the school room. Though we have been using their beds, the trampoline and kitchen table also.

But our school room is where all our stuff for learning goes.
  • BatMom.
    by BatMom.
    September 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    I sure do.
  • Karmea
    by Karmea
    September 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    Quoting jwhit8791:

I guess that I don't understand why you view what you do as "not school".

I think I'm just a really literal person. School is institutionalized learning with groups of people. We're just a house with a kid, trying to approach learning like humans rather than institutions.

Quoting jwhit8791:

I guess if it makes you uncomfortable, then maybe come up with a phrasing that doesn't make you feel that way.

Yup! That's why I'm here, looking for suggestions.

• puglove029
    September 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM

If I had a room I would call it a school room, but I don't have one so it's called my dining room :)

• ripemango
    September 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM

we call it school work.....but we don't say it's time for school

w what you are describing i would call it her school room or classroom

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    Yes, I use the term school.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts