Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
How do you make it fun?
September 13, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I am struggling with this...first four days have been really rough so I am wondering how to spice it up to make it fun?

We are learning a bit about structions so I was thinking of doing the egg drop (he has to build something to hold a egg then we drop it off a roof and then see if it lasts)

Social studies is all about maps and Canada...

Math right now is boring review

Got to think of some arts and craft things too...

Just need ideas so he sees that this homeschooling can be fun...

Replies

• ablackdolphin
    September 13, 2013 at 5:41 AM
    Cand you play games for math??
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    September 13, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    There are so many things you could do. You cam also make maps fun. My sons and I love building a map puzzle and then driving their hotwheels to different destinations. I am building a 9 by 6 foot map of the US. I am cutting out templates and then cutting them out. It is going to be a lot of fun. Try taking things and enjoy and incorporation. As far as math goes make a game out of it. Also if he understands it don't spend too much time on it. I would look up a recipe from Canada and make it together. You count as geography and math. Also I love teaching Geography through art as well. Have fun.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    September 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    Pinterest always inspires me. Lol
  • mem82
    by mem82
    September 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    I love the egg drop idea. You could also walk on the eggs, too.
  • MotoStar
    September 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM

My son is 7. I try to include things into the lesson that will interest him as an example, we did the science behind chocolate chip cookies.

We also do "dance breaks" in between lessons!

For Canada, how about tasting different maple syrup or making poutine?

Make the math review fun by using legos or something else that interests them.

Our School Day

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

how bout some videos on maps and canada, make a large map of canada for the wall and let child/ren put the place on it, color it , stickers on it etc.  game for canada maps http://www.yourchildlearns.com/mappuzzle/canada-puzzle.html, maps to print any size for canada or any country http://www.yourchildlearns.com/megamaps/print-north-america-maps.html

math do you really need to review? if so do some on a white or chalk board, make it a game, do it on unstructured paper racing with the child, out loud

• AutymsMommy
    September 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM

While I do try to make certain things fun, or at least incorporate separately things that they find fun, I do want them to realize that not everything in life is fun - and that doesn't make it less necessary.

We have two math blocks - one for formal, structured work, and the other is a discovery based play "math fun" block. When my eldest was home, she always enjoyed first doing grammar drills orally, or with passages from favorite books, before I set her loose on her written drill assignment. History is an easier area to incorporate "fun" more naturally, if your child is the type to enjoy drawing and coloring - Story of the World is great for that; you can have the draw what has been read, and write their narration under that, and add in the suggested crafts and projects.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts