Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Any good ideas for teaching how to write possessive nouns, singular and plural?
by mem82
September 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM

My son is having trouble with his ( 's) and his (s'). Any ideas besides just doing worksheet after worksheet or whiteboard after whiteboard?

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    September 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Have you checked pinterest?  It looks like they have a bunch of games and such.  Are you saying he's having a hard time with his plurals and making those possessive?  Because the apostrophe after the s and no following s is just as correct as a second s following the apostrophe:

Summers' Crazy Land
    Summers's Crazy Land

It's a matter of preference. 

• KrissyKC
    September 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    Have him create a chart. Every day add two or three new words to the appropriate column and discuss briefly examples of when to use each in a sentence. After a few weeks he should be doing it like a breeze and u can stop. Make it on dry erase.... my kids will learn anything on dry erase.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    September 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM

He's having trouble with this:

single: A boy's dog ran to the fence.

plural: The boys' dog ran to their dad's car.

I tend to be more of a traditionalist when it comes to things like this. I am a firm believer in the Oxford comma and such. LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

Have you checked pinterest?  It looks like they have a bunch of games and such.  Are you saying he's having a hard time with his plurals and making those possessive?  Because the apostrophe after the s and no following s is just as correct as a second s following the apostrophe:

Summers' Crazy Land
    Summers's Crazy Land

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Great idea! Thanks!

Quoting KrissyKC:

Have him create a chart. Every day add two or three new words to the appropriate column and discuss briefly examples of when to use each in a sentence. After a few weeks he should be doing it like a breeze and u can stop. Make it on dry erase.... my kids will learn anything on dry erase.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    September 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM

My husband is ready to drop any friends who don't use the Oxford comma.  Tragically, my dad things they're a complete waste of a comma.  :(

Personally, I'd worry more about it's and its.  I still hate that its is possessive, just like Stephanie's, but doesn't get the apostrophe.

Quoting mem82:

I tend to be more of a traditionalist when it comes to things like this. I am a firm believer in the Oxford comma and such. LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

Summers' Crazy Land
    Summers's Crazy Land

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM

LOL

My own personal thing is your and you're. Everyone, including myself, switches them sometimes, but it is a slippery slope. lol

Quoting hwblyf:

My husband is ready to drop any friends who don't use the Oxford comma.  Tragically, my dad things they're a complete waste of a comma.  :(

Personally, I'd worry more about it's and its.  I still hate that its is possessive, just like Stephanie's, but doesn't get the apostrophe.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting hwblyf:

Summers' Crazy Land
    Summers's Crazy Land

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    September 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I'm a wee bit of a grammar/spelling police.  And oh, when I make mistakes, I'm soooooo embarrassed!

Quoting mem82:

LOL

My own personal thing is your and you're. Everyone, including myself, switches them sometimes, but it is a slippery slope. lol

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting hwblyf:

Summers' Crazy Land
    Summers's Crazy Land

• KrissyKC
    September 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    When u make a chart leave a big spot to draw it. Like write the sentence you suggested above and write the words boy's dog and boys' dog and have him draw one boy with a dog under the appropriate word and more than one boys with a dog or dogs under THAT word. Have him underline the trouble word in each sentence that shows singular or plural possessive.
  • bluerooffarm
    September 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM

How does he do with subject/verb agreement?  I would have my 9th graders do this:  Add the word Own or Owns in between the words.  Pretend the possessive is a contraction for A (boy owns) car needs brakes.  A boy's car needs brakes.  With a plural noun you would do this:  The (boys own) car goes fast.  The boys' car goes fast.  Since Own doesn't have an s at the end, the contraction doesn't work.

• SusanTheWriter
    September 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Try being "SusanTheWriter" and making a grammar mistake in a post. The pressure!

Tell him this: every time he uses an apostrophe to pluralize, a kitten dies.

It sure changed how my kids used an apostrophe! *gg*

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN