Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Do we HAVE to do math every day?
September 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM
DD hates math. Every day this week it has turned into a meltdown. I know it's not too hard, and it's not all too easy though some is more of a review for her, but I need to see what she knows so I only have her do a couple problems if its review. Then she makes obvious mistakes and she has a tantrum if I try to explain why something isn't right. Today it only took her 10 min to do 9 problems but 8 of them were wrong because of simple mistakes or not reading directions. She also hasn't memorized her multiplication facts (6s, 7s and 8s...the others she knows for the most part but I wouldn't say fluently).

So, can I schedule real math like m/w/f and just do a math game on t/th? Any other ideas? I just don't want to fight every day but I also think she really needs to learn this stuff.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    September 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Math games sound great!!  Especially until she gets more comfortable with the math you are teaching.  :-)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Math games & cooking cooking can help with the math & fallowing directions!

• frndlyfn
    September 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM

There are tons of math games where the players really do not realize they are using math.  I would also perhap sub a lesson for a cooking lesson instead.  I wonder if a tutoring center could do independent testing to just see if she is trying to rebel against you in this subject or really does not understand the concepts.

• paganbaby
    September 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I personally would skip the worksheets and just do online math games, math board games, cooking and one of my favorites, shopping :-) As long as she's learning, it doesn't matter how.

• LongBeachLiz
    September 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    You don't HAVE to do anything when it comes to homeschooling. I agree with math games. If something doesn't work try another approach. Learning is fun.
  • ablackdolphin
    September 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Are you just doing worksheets? That's torture for some kids.  Hands on manipulatives and games might be a better path.

• paganbaby
    September 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM

My oldest daughter HATES worksheets, so all of her math is going to be online.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Are you just doing worksheets? That's torture for some kids.  Hands on manipulatives and games might be a better path.

• paganbaby
    September 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

That's the best part about it :-) I love being able to change things up whenever the mood strikes. It keeps learning fun for both of us.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

You don't HAVE to do anything when it comes to homeschooling. I agree with math games. If something doesn't work try another approach. Learning is fun.

• AutymsMommy
    September 11, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I haven't read the other replies and I'll probably be reamed a new one for this but, yes, math needs to be done every day. If there is ONE subject, above all others, that I feel needs to be done daily (to keep it fresh and ensure no gaps or lapses), it's math.

• collinsmommy0
    September 11, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    You can check out online lessons too - kahnacademy has lessons for all grades at this point, I think.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts