Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
How do you work Fall Themes into your homeschool?
by mem82
September 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Johnny Appleseed's birthday is coming up here in a few weeks so of course we will do a few apple theme things. In October I love doing folklore and other Halloween=y type things with the kids. It's my favorite holiday besides Christmas.

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    September 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I LOVE Halloween.  Big Pumpkin is one of my all time faves.  I happened to say "Big Pumpkin" the other day in my mummy voice, and my youngest was instantly begging to get the story out.  :)  We're going to do some seasons observations and a weather unit, but we'll also make it out to the pumpkin patch, another farm, do tons of apple treats (note to self:  work in Johnny Appleseed), and celebrate it not being 95 fun-lovin' degrees any more.  :)

• debramommyof4
    September 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM

We do not do themes in school work, but we do take Halloween off when it falls on a school day.  The kids get so excited it is pointless to try to make them work.

• Leissaintexas
    September 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    When mine were little we did leaf prints and did pumpkin and fall themed worksheets. Once we made turkeys out of fall colored scrapbook papers. The most fun was making sun catchers by taking fall colored crayons, shaving off little bits, then laying them between two sheets of wax paper. With a warm iron, I melted it all together and then cut it out in the shape ofleaves . *sigh* I miss crafts. Mine are too old for all that fun stuff.
  • KrissyKC
    September 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM

aaaaaugghhhh!!!   Who has time for themes!!!???!!??!?!       We cannot get through the BASICS...

Every day, they seem to take longer and longer to get anything accomplished.   I'm going out of my mind.

• mamamedic69
    September 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    My dd is still young so we will be doing some Fall themed crafts. I'll be looking on Pinterest for some ideas, other than leaf prints.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    September 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I do the basics themed in Fall, LOL

Quoting KrissyKC:

aaaaaugghhhh!!!   Who has time for themes!!!???!!??!?!       We cannot get through the BASICS...

Every day, they seem to take longer and longer to get anything accomplished.   I'm going out of my mind.

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM

<3 Pinterest!

Quoting mamamedic69:

My dd is still young so we will be doing some Fall themed crafts. I'll be looking on Pinterest for some ideas, other than leaf prints.

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I love the sun catcher idea! My oldest is 12 and less enthused with that stuff, too.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

When mine were little we did leaf prints and did pumpkin and fall themed worksheets. Once we made turkeys out of fall colored scrapbook papers. The most fun was making sun catchers by taking fall colored crayons, shaving off little bits, then laying them between two sheets of wax paper. With a warm iron, I melted it all together and then cut it out in the shape ofleaves . *sigh* I miss crafts. Mine are too old for all that fun stuff.

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

We do the same thing for the same reason! LOL

Quoting debramommyof4:

We do not do themes in school work, but we do take Halloween off when it falls on a school day.  The kids get so excited it is pointless to try to make them work.

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

We love going to the Pumpkin Patch!

Quoting hwblyf:

I LOVE Halloween.  Big Pumpkin is one of my all time faves.  I happened to say "Big Pumpkin" the other day in my mummy voice, and my youngest was instantly begging to get the story out.  :)  We're going to do some seasons observations and a weather unit, but we'll also make it out to the pumpkin patch, another farm, do tons of apple treats (note to self:  work in Johnny Appleseed), and celebrate it not being 95 fun-lovin' degrees any more.  :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN